Can a 5150 do anything besides high gain?

unit11

• Members

Seriously - I've found a sweet deal on one, but I've never had a chance to play one when I wasn't in all out rock wanker mode... Can it do anything besides EVH type tones? Could it pull off a decent blues, for example?

Is the clean even worth considering? I've heard lots bad about the 5150 clean, but what, specifically, is the problem? Could it be EQ'd?

Any kind of feed back would be cool!

• Members

How about volume: does it always have to be cranked pretty loud? I'd be willing to use it as an almost 'gig only' amp, but even so, how careful will I have to be with volume?

And how is the 5150 cabinet? I've never had a chance to play one, never even seen one at the local guitar stores...

And thanks lumpy; yours was the deal I was looking at.

Something else to consider: I was also thinking of just getting a prosonic or a supersonic before I stumbled on lumpy's deal... are they even comparable? Pros/Cons?

• Members

Originally posted by paintkilz

actually 5150s are loud as hell, and tend to find that point before alot of other amps iv found...i dont go higher then 3 with the post gain usually....

So they don't have a decent sound until high volumes?

What kind of stuff could be done to decently cut volume? Are power attenuaters(sp?) alright, or is there a preferred method by most 5150/6505 people?

• Members

Originally posted by fatfat

What the {censored}? Moron.

You have to bear in mind he is trying to sell the amp. I believe what he is referring to is that after you own it for a while you can figure out how to get different sounds... That aside, why do you say he is a moron? Do you disagree?

Again, I have to ask anyone: can it be played with out excessive volumes, or will the tone go down the drain? What are effective (if any) volume control methods?

• Members

Originally posted by unit11

So they don't have a decent sound until high volumes?

What kind of stuff could be done to decently cut volume? Are power attenuaters(sp?) alright, or is there a preferred method by most 5150/6505 people?

The 5150 sounds great at low volumes.

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

a 5150 can put out some other tones DECENTLY...but i wouldn't buy one unless you mainly want it for high gain stuff

The main kind of music I will use it for it my original stuff, which is predominately something like 80's hair, only a little less shredding (not quite that quick!), so the 5150 is a natural choice to look at. We will also cover stuff, but as long as I can pull off a good high gain, and a decent slightly less gainy crunch, and a usable (if not exceptionally pretty) clean, I may very well go for this amp.

How about the cab? How does it affect the sound?

• Members

Originally posted by unit11

The main kind of music I will use it for it my original stuff, which is predominately something like 80's hair, only a little less shredding (not quite that quick!), so the 5150 is a natural choice to look at. We will also cover stuff, but as long as I can pull off a good high gain, and a decent slightly less gainy crunch, and a usable (if not exceptionally pretty) clean, I may very well go for this amp.

How about the cab? How does it affect the sound?

the 5150 works well with most any cab, it's got a kinda obnoxious sound to it that's always present no matter what you run it thru (which is good if you dig the tone)

if you run the gain on the lead channel low, you can get a nice crunch from it...with a nice boost for when you want more gain you can do quite a bit with that channel

with the rhythm channel on a clean setting, a good soft sounding neck pickup and decent chorus pedal will get you some fairly decent clean tones

• Members

Send it to jerryP to get modded and the clean should be very very useable. I have an EQ, SLIGHT chorus, and a little reverd in the FX loop of my stock 5150 and it sounds just fine to me!!! a few "pretty pedals" take it a long way. I say go for it! If you do not like it they are not too hard to sell!

Archived