Laney VC50/VH100 - KT77 or SED EL34

dpm

• Members

I see there's a few Laney-ites here :thu:

I've got a VC50 on the way (yes, the speakers will be changed), and I'm wondering which tubes to put in the power stage.

I know I'm an EL34 kind of dude, but I do need a bit of extended low end so I've narrowed it down to either the JJ's KT77 or the SED EL34, with a maybe for JJ's E34L.

Anyone have any advice or experience with these specific amps?

• Members

Hmm, I've never owned a Laney before but I've always prefered 34's. I'm kind of looking at the KT77 in a 'best of both worlds' kind of way.

It's only a pair of tubes in this thing so maybe I'll get some good 6l6's to compare.

• Members

I use KT77's and really dig them...does this add to the confusion??:confused:

I had a Single Recto and hated 6L6's in it...the KT77's was a nice change

The KT77's in my JSX was a HUGE improvement.:love:

They have great bottom end without all the sizzle on top. I hate a crispy high end:mad:

Never played a Layney though....I don't know how they're voiced:confused:

• Members

hmm, they're bright amps. I just ordered a pair of SED 6l6's and a bias probe. I guess I'll see how they go with biased on the hot side, then try the 77's or 34's.

It's not like I hate 6l6's, more that I've preferred 34's in previous gear. That said, a lot of 6l6 amps I've heard would have been cold, with their stock tubes, so......

• Members

VC50 owner here. Better cleans (slightly) with the 6L6s. Better lead tones (by quite a bit IMO) with EL34s. In fact, SED EL34s are what I have in there right now. My point of comparison was the Sovtek 5881s that came in it (I bought it new in 1996) and Mesa-branded 6L6s. Also, even though there is a switch to select between the different tube types, you'll get way better results if you bias again after the tube switch. These amps are great. I've bought and sold a few other amps in the meantime, but I've kept this VC50 for a LONG time and have no plans of getting rid of it. It is still the amp I use most.

BTW, those stock H&H speakers were great for cleans, but damned ICEPICKS on the lead channel. It is a bright amp, mate your speaker selection accordingly.

• Members

I'm running JJ E34Ls in my VH and the brightness is still there, but with more of a bottom end. I've not re-tubed it with 6L6s as of yet, that's my next move: taking my El Diablo and VH100 over to 6L6.

Remember though, the brightness that seems to pierce alone allows us to slice through and be heard in a band context.

Derek

Archived