Ethnic sounds/loops needed...

• Members

Hey there.

I need some Ethnic (world) instruments/loops, etc for a project I'm working on.

Software preferred.

Been looking at MOTU's Ethno 2, but there is no demo for it, and only the Rudess series of mp3s/videos.

Can't find anyone else who has actually used it or can recommend it.

"Epic World" (Eduardo Tarilonte) sounds interesting, too, but seems smaller for about the same price?

Interested in any options I may have missed as well.

Any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

~M

• Members

I have the original MOTU Ethno but haven't gotten around to spending the $179 (or whatever it is) to upgrade to Ethno 2.

I don't have any experience with any other ethnic sample instruments, but MOTU's Ethno is amazing. The quality of the samples is pristine. The fidelity is remarkable. The built-in reverb is gorgeous. And Ethno is 16-part multi-timbral, so you don't have to open multiple instances to use multiple sounds.

Instruments are categorized by both geography and type. There are individual instrument samples plus tons of loops. A nice feature is the ability to sync loops to your DAW tempo. You can also drag and drop loops into a sequence (I know you can do this with Digital Performer).

The instruments themselves? If you're making music for the National Geographic or Discovery Channel this is for you. I have mostly used the tons of exotic percussion sounds, as well as wild Asian bells, Caribbean bass guitars, and some Middle Eastern vocal loops.

Ethno 2 is supposed to be even more spectacular.

My gripe, though, is that Ethno was not compatible with Apple's Snow Leopard software. They promised an update for months, but the "fix" ended up being Ethno 2, which is compatible, but requires the upgrade fee. Certainly the upgrade gives you a ton more sounds, but still, I was annoyed. So it goes with software instruments.

Archived