vh 140c with vintage 30's

voivod

• Members

Not getting that articulate type of overdrive out of it it seems,it's more of a "woofy" type sound....it's an avatar cabinet with my strat plugged in on the dry side with a J.B. pickup.....any guys with experience playing this head,drop me a post to remedy this...Thanks!

• Members

Are you talking about a more mild overdrive? I never really used my old one for that. But I can tell you that running it through a Vader 2x12 sounded absolutely vicious for high gain. Those come loaded with Eminence Legends according to the site.

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

Are you talking about a more mild overdrive? I never really used my old one for that. But I can tell you that running it through a Vader 2x12 sounded absolutely vicious for high gain. Those come loaded with Eminence Legends according to the site.

yeah I guess that would be a good analysis...sounds about right

• Members

you using the avatar 2x12 or 4x12 cab? I just did a bunch of research myself into cabs and I found that some people loved the 4x12 and some people didn't.. I guess the cab is a bit smaller than most 4x12's so they don't sound quite the same to some people. the 2x12 on the other hand most everyone liked.. and they are kinda on the larger side.

the 2x12 is 21x28.5x12

the 4x12 is 29x28.5x12

most marshalls are like 30x30x14

I actually ordered an avatar 2x12 with two celestion g12t75's 8ohm stereo today.. so we'll see. and I bought a vh140c from a forum member the other day.. cant wait for them both to get here :thu:

actually, were you using those v30's in a 2x12? they were 16ohm so i wonder if maybe you werent powering them enough? the vh140 is rated for 70w at 8 ohm.. at 16 ohms that would be 35w each

• Members
Originally posted by cryptic1911

you using the avatar 2x12 or 4x12 cab? I just did a bunch of research myself into cabs and I found that some people loved the 4x12 and some people didn't.. I guess the cab is a bit smaller than most 4x12's so they don't sound quite the same to some people. the 2x12 on the other hand most everyone liked.. and they are kinda on the larger side.

the 2x12 is 21x28.5x12

the 4x12 is 29x28.5x12

most marshalls are like 30x30x14

I actually ordered an avatar 2x12 with two celestion g12t75's 8ohm stereo today.. so we'll see. and I bought a vh140c from a forum member the other day.. cant wait for them both to get here
:thu:

actually, were you using those v30's in a 2x12? they were 16ohm so i wonder if maybe you werent powering them enough? the vh140 is rated for 70w at 8 ohm.. at 16 ohms that would be 35w each

yeah....it's an 8 ohm cab.......2 -16 ohm vintage 30 speakers (right?)........but I'll eventually pluck those out and ebay em to get some g12t75's........it seems around here that the vintage 30 is the "speaker du jour" but I want to use what works best for me.

• Members

if you have two 16 ohm speakers you can either run it in 16 ohm stereo, or 8 ohm mono. The vh140 is a stereo 140w amp which means it puts out 70w at 8ohms ont he left and right channels. even if you run the cab 8 ohm mono, it's still only getting 70w total (35 each speaker)

I went through celestion's site last night and listened to the comparison of the v30's against their other speakers, and frankly, i didnt like them at all. they sounded real scratchy and middy to me. thats what made me get the g12t75's

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by JiroJan

the speakers that come in the combo (forgot the model) are the best match of the vh-140c....ill check for you in a bit and post em

There are two versions of the combo. The newer ones had Celestion G12T-75s in 'em, and the older ones had some Ampeg speakers (which could be relabelled Celestions).

As per the consensus above, the VH-140C likes G12T-75s. As with the Eminence Legends, I think the key is that they've got a reasonably flat reponse, and thus don't colour the tone like the V30 does with its mid-spike.

Archived