Randall Vs Laney

EdgeOvThorns

• Members

Alright so I ordered myself a Randall rm100m (mts series) its got the modules and should be a great all around amp. I picked it up used and really didnt like it out of the box. I am considering either putting some serious work into it or picking up a Laney Vh100r. Thing I like about the randall is everything can be done without taking it to a tech, its completely self biasing. I just need any and all info I can get about either amp. Clips would be great. Tube swapping for the laney etc . Thanks in advance guys.

• Members

I get a really bad feeling buying an amp that I know im gonna have to drag to some amp tech to modify anything on. I appreciate the taking sides but some more info would be much more helpful.

And yea Ive checked out ty tabors stuff. Its one reason I bought the randall in the first place.

Thanks everyone.:thu:

• Members

Laney,end of discussion.

And why shoudl you HAVE to be modding anything. Start out with a good amp to begin with,and you should have to do is tweak some knobs. Another thing to keep in mind: KEEP IT SIMPLE,STUPID is a good motto. When things start going squirrly with all those modules,or things start overheating,etc how much you think your tech bill is going to be?

• Members

Originally posted by jmartin

Laney,end of discussion.

And why shoudl you HAVE to be modding anything. Start out with a good amp to begin with,and you should have to do is tweak some knobs. Another thing to keep in mind: KEEP IT SIMPLE,STUPID is a good motto. When things start going squirrly with all those modules,or things start overheating,etc how much you think your tech bill is going to be?

Never had any problems with my modules or any overheating problems with my Randall. I have heard quite a few stories about Laney issue though.

• Members

Im not saying there are any problems-yet, But with any device-especially amps,why make things more complicated? The more you do so,the more you increase the chances of having things go really,really wrong at the worst time.

Ive tried the Randall,nice amp,some great sounds. The concept sounds like a neat idea for a studio rig,in lieu of a Line6 or modelling amp,but Im not sure I would consider gigging with one.

As for problems with the Laney, Ive had the some one since 1987. It has survived 2 floods,has fallen out of the back of a moving truck,etc. And still and always has,worked great. Apart from replacing tubes once in a while,(a common thing with any tube amp),the thing is 100% stock. Never blown a fuse,tubes,transformers or anything. (although Im sure I could use a re-cap by now).:thu: :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jmartin

Im not saying there are any problems-yet, But with any device-especially amps,why make things more complicated? The more you do so,the more you increase the chances of having things go really,really wrong at the worst time.

Ive tried the Randall,nice amp,some great sounds. The concept sounds like a neat idea for a studio rig,in lieu of a Line6 or modelling amp,but Im not sure I would consider gigging with one.

As for problems with the Laney, Ive had the some one since 1987. It has survived 2 floods,has fallen out of the back of a moving truck,etc. And still and always has,worked great. Apart from replacing tubes once in a while,(a common thing with any tube amp),the thing is 100% stock. Never blown a fuse,tubes,transformers or anything. (although Im sure I could use a re-cap by now).
:thu:

If something goes wrong with my preamp I can just buy a new preamp module instead of having to take the entire amp into repair. Or just ship off the preamp module for repair, instead of an entire amp. That is a huge advantage over the Laney. Or if I want a different voicing all I have to do is buy a $200 module instead of pay for a $400 mod and $100 in shipping charges.

Don't get me wrong I like Laneys too, I had a VH100R at one time. I had an issue with the first one they sent me and had them send me another one. Never had one problem with my Randall. :thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Laney

I've had mine for 4 years now without any problems. Gigged and rehearsal. Has perfromed flawlessly. Can't say about Randall. I've never heard them having issues either. But you can always end up getting unlucky with a lemon. That's the way it goes.

The randall is easier to tweak to get your sounds.

The Vh100r is extremely touch sensitive. All the knobs are interactive and you better patient to learn how to communicate with her or it's not going to reciprocate. So it's like knowing to please a woman...lol I'm serious about that. Ask any Vh100r users out there. They will tell you it is a tweakers amp. Not forgiving if you don't know how to eq her. Also the stock tubes are kinda {censored}ty. Be sure to shell out some money for some good preamp and power amp tubes.

Archived