Would it be possible to do this to a marshall 9200?

JohnnyD

• Members

Seing as it's basically 2 amps in one, if i were to keep the 5881's in channel A and fit 6L6's in channel B - would that work?

Then when i play live through 2 cabs, I could mic them both up and pan them slightly apart from each other and get a dual tone stereo monster sound?

• Members

Originally posted by JohnnyD

Seing as it's basically 2 amps in one, if i were to keep the 5881's in channel A and fit 6L6's in channel B - would that work?

Then when i play live through 2 cabs, I could mic them both up and pan them slightly apart from each other and get a dual tone stereo monster sound?

No problem, but it would not make much difference. Convert one side to EL34s, or run KT66s in one side and 6L6/EL37s in the other side if you want more distinctly seperate sounding amps.

• Members

Thanks man,

I've heard that 5881s and 6L6's sound pretty different and a lot of people saying 6L6's are better.

i was going to re-valve both sides of my 9200 with 6L6's but then i thought about this idea of having different ones in each side. Like when you multi-track in a studio through 2 different amps to get a huge sound.

Would there be any issues with biasing, having different kinds of tubes in each side?

• Members

Originally posted by JohnnyD

Thanks man,

I've heard that 5881s and 6L6's sound pretty different and a lot of people saying 6L6's are better.

i was going to re-valve both sides of my 9200 with 6L6's but then i thought about this idea of having different ones in each side. Like when you multi-track in a studio through 2 different amps to get a huge sound.

Would there be any issues with biasing, having different kinds of tubes in each side?

6L6GC are a 30 watt tube and 5881s and the older 6L6WB are 25 watt rated tubes, for guitar amps, and they are 17.5 and 15 watts with regards to their use in an audiophile quality high fidelity application.

I had a 9200 for 8 years, but I never used any other than 5881s in it.

As for biasing, yes, you may need to bias the sides for the tubes you use. Marshalls are a little more delicate than MESAs IMO and IME, and may not take well to extremes. 6l6WB, like the old RCA blackplates wouldn't be a problem, although it's wise to check the bias with different tubes, just to be sure you won't fry the trannys or burn something up. The English version used EL34s, and if it used the same trannys as the 5881 model then it will handle everything but 7027s, 7868s, 6550s and KT88s, and similar non EL34 and 6L6 related tubes, with little or no modifications, except possibly a few small changes to account for specific voltage differences the tubes use.

• Members

I noticed that you are in the UK, and my 9200 manual stated that 5881s were only in the US market version and the English and European versions used EL34s.

But, yours is the 5881 version.

I think I remember my 9200 having a voltage selector switch allowing for 230 or 117 volts AC, but I've had a number of amps and I sold the 9200 a few years ago, which I realize was not a great idea, since it was a great sounding power amp, and had never let me down in 8 years of using it. It was very heavy, though.

• Members

Thanks for the help.

I bought mine secondhand off a guy who worked in a guitar shop so it could be from the US or the UK. I think i remember it having a voltage selector on it (it's not here right now), but it's definately running on 230volts at the moment.

The only thing i've got to go on at the moment is a sticker on the front which has a picture of a valve and says "Marshall 5881" on it lol.

I'll get it home next week and open it up and have a proper look.

• Members

PS - mine's never let me down so far in the 6 years i've had it. But i agree it is ridiculously heavy! I was thinking about selling it and getting a mesa 20/20 or something but i do like it a lot, and mesa stuff is v.expensive over here even second hand.

Archived