recovering a 4x12

Themetallikid

• Members

ok, I know there was a thread about recovering a 4x12 with different tolex, but I'm thinking of putting the black fuzzy stuff on instead, is the application pretty much the same?

Any good websites to see how to do this? How much material is needed to do this correctly?

I got the cab for free, the tolex is beat up, the speakers are {censored} and the grill is gone...can you say fixer-upper????:eek:

So I'm getting two sets of matching speakers for a full tone to be placed in an X Pattern. One with smooth highs and lower mids, and one with tighter lows and bite to it and then have a stereo/mono switch installed to run it either at 8 ohms/side stereo or 4 ohms mono...

anyway I want to do the black fuzzy covering...and replace the corners with chrome ones. I'm getting black mesh grill for the front and having a buddy cut out our band logo and having it chromed as well for the center.

any help on how to get all this done would be appreicated.

• Members

Well, the carpet stuff can be found at most any car audio shop. I actually recommend using liquid nail to hold it down. Work one side at a time as the liquid nail dries fairly quickly. Overlap the edges slightly and cut it using a special cutter that you can get at most craft stores and fabric stores. It's like a pizza cutter with a razor sharp blade.

Here's a 2x12 I just covered using a vinyl used on furniture.

cabinet2-vi.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions. I'm not expert by any means, but I've covered a few speaker cabs back in the day when I was into car audio.

• Members

My trick is that pizza cutter I mentioned. What I do is apply the glue just short of the corner. I then rough cut the edge with a scissors so there is about 1/4 inch of extra material on each side of the corner. I then overlap the pieces and, with a straightedge, cut a clean corner with the pizza cutter (my unofficial name for it). Then, I apply glue under the fabric area with my finger and hold the pieces tight until it dries enough to hold it down on it's own. With tolex, a blow dryer helps a bit to get it around the edges. With vinyl and carpet, there is enough stretch available to get the edges to meet tight.

Also, with the bottom seam, never start right at the edge. I go in about 1-2 inches. The material is more likely to pull away at an edge.

Archived