New Avatar Cab

mdog114

• Members

I ordered an Avatar Vintage Premier 2x12" cab last week and it should be here this week. I have a few speakers lying around at home, so I ordered it empty to try out some combos. I don't think I'll end-up using any of the speakers I have (EVM-12L, JBL 140 & an Old GB), so I'm looking for some suggestions for what to load it with.

I recently aquired a Fuchs ODS 30 head and I'd like to pair it up with this cabinet for a nice little comapct rig. I've read a lot about the new Eminence lines and am leaning towards one of those models. The on that's peaked my interest is the Tonker. It supposed to be a pretty clean, hi-power handling speaker that doesn't breakup to soon and that sounds like what I'm looking for. I've also heard good thinks about the Govenors too (along with many of the new models from these lines).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Members

I recently took ownership of a Fuchs TDS-50 head (with crunch mod and hand tune options - see below) and spent quite a bit of time discussing speakers with my dealer, Michael Lewis, and Andy Fuchs himself.

Those guys both really like the British-made G12H-30s (which I currently have in a Jenkins Highway 61 2x12 cab), the reissue 200W EVM-12L and the Eminence Red, White & Blues.

The RWB is what Andy currently stocks in his cabs and combos. He was using the Eminence Wizard, which is supposed to be a take on the G12H-30, but Andy says it doesn't sound quite as good as the British-made G12H-30. So, he switched over to the RWB, which both he and Michael like a lot. I've personally never heard it.

The reissue 200W EVM-12L (NOT the 300W the Zakk Wylde edition) is also a great-sounding speaker with the ODS/TDS line. Andy stocks these babies for sale and I was really leaning towards them myself because most of my favorite ODS/TDS clips were made with them. Trouble is, it's not always that great with other amps and they're quite heavy, so I didn't want to dedicate my only speaker cab to this duty. But, someday, I may look into an oversized 1x12 to throw one in for TDS duties.

One other speaker you might want to consider is the reissue Celestion 1260. Robben Ford used to use 'em in his Dumble rig.

Lastly, I can say that the British-made G12H-30 and TDS sound absolutely amazing together. I have no urge to change anything myself...especially since they sound so good with my other amps too!

Apparently, one speaker you need to avoid like the plague with the TDS/ODS amps is the Vintage 30! Never heard it myself with the TDS, but both Andy and Michael have mentioned this.

• Members

Originally posted by mdog114

Thanks Maz!

I just looked at the Eminence site and the TonkerLite sounds interesting, has anyone tried this speaker?

Doug Roccaforte has tried the original Tonker and posted nothing but positive comments on it. But, his amps are nothing like the Fuchs ODS/TDS series, so it's tough to translate.

• Members

Originally posted by maz_master

Doug Roccaforte has tried the original Tonker and posted nothing but positive comments on it. But, his amps are nothing like the Fuchs ODS/TDS series, so it's tough to translate.

I've read that the ODS likes to see a clean speaker, so I'm just looking in that direction.

The Tonkers sound nice, but there are so many to choose from.

Any other thoughts?

• Members

I ordered an Avatar Vintage Premier 2x12" cab last week and it should be here this week. I have a few speakers lying around at home, so I ordered it empty to try out some combos. I don't think I'll end-up using any of the speakers I have (EVM-12L, JBL 140 & an Old GB), so I'm looking for some suggestions for what to load it with.

I recently aquired a Fuchs ODS 30 head and I'd like to pair it up with this cabinet for a nice little comapct rig. I've read a lot about the new Eminence lines and am leaning towards one of those models. The on that's peaked my interest is the Tonker. It supposed to be a pretty clean, hi-power handling speaker that doesn't breakup to soon and that sounds like what I'm looking for. I've also heard good thinks about the Govenors too (along with many of the new models from these lines).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

they let u order those cabs empty? how much that cost?

• Members

I've read that the ODS likes to see a clean speaker, so I'm just looking in that direction.

The Tonkers sound nice, but there are so many to choose from.

Any other thoughts?

I'm not sure exactly what qualities in a speaker make it great for Dumble-style ODS amps. Robben Ford made tone history playing Dumbles through Celestion G12-65s, which are very colorful speakers and not super clean. They also sound great through G12H-30s, which aren't very clean or neutral at all. They also sound great through EVM 12-Ls, which are very clean and very neutral. But, they sound bad through V30s. :confused:

So, I don't think you can just generalize and say they only like clean, neutral speakers.

Archived