ampeg reverberocket 212, is this amp good for S.Pumpkins,Weezer,Nirvana style music

Lloyd Rummell

• Members

I really like the classic looks of the reverberocket 212 and was wondering if it was good for playing music in the style of the bands I mentioned in the title. The amp will be used mostly at home but I need something loud enough to take to practices if I should find the right situation.

am I looking at the right amp? The asking price of 799.99 is about the most that I can spend on an amp at the moment.

would this amp be at all suitable or would I be better off with something like a Peavey Valve King?

I'm open to any suggestions.:thu:

• Members

You can find them on eBay and elsewhere for less than $800. Then you should take the money you saved and put some better speakers in that baby! I swapped mine out for Eminence Red Fangs (for example) and oooooooooo the tones! :thu: You will be set for the tones you're trying to tackle . . .

• Members

I wouldn't recommend the 212 for home use. I have the 112 version, and it is waaaaay the {censored} too loud for just playing around at home. I keep mine at the practice space, I feel that's the only place I can use it.

And about that ridiculous price, see if you can't haggle it down some at least. I wouldn't drop more than $600 on it if I were you.

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

I wouldn't recommend the 212 for home use. I have the 112 version, and it is waaaaay the {censored} too loud for just playing around at home. I keep mine at the practice space, I feel that's the only place I can use it.

And about that ridiculous price, see if you can't haggle it down some at least. I wouldn't drop more than $600 on it if I were you.

I was planning on ordering it online from either musicians friend or guitar center, so I'm not gonna have the option of haggling the price down. I know it's gonna have more power than I need for home use but I can keep it turned down a bit at home, I need something that'll be loud enough to take to practices also .

If You guys feel that it's overpriced, what would be an amp of similiar quality at a more reasonable price.:thu:

• Members

You need to find the ReverbRocket head and matching 4x12 cab...turn that up as loud as your organs can handle...it is magical...and the only ReverbRocket I have real experience with...I imagine the combo is also beautiful

The cleans are something to behold and it does take pedals VERY well...it should work quite well for your application...as would an Orange most likely...

Wasn't Ampeg started by an accordion player that hated distortion with a passion?

• Members

I had the 1x12 version of these a few years ago and traded it out for a Mesa F50. On the whole it was good trade that I do not regret, but it was a sweet little amp and if $$ had been no issue, I probably would have kept it. I keep thinking maybe I'll pick up a used head one day. The clean channel is outstanding as is the reverb...in fact, it's ruined me for reverbs now, it was so good.

The drive channel is good, too, though it's just a tad on the brittle side. My biggest issue with it was it didn't have quite as much gain as I wanted, plus I wanted separate TMB controls for each channel. As for the gain, I probably could have used a boost pedal to get me where I wanted, but I was still pretty much a newbie at that point and didn't really understand that. As for the lack of dedicated TMB controls for each channel, you could always use an EQ pedal in the loop to compensate for that.

The only other thing I would say about these is that mine benefited from a speaker upgrade. I used an external 1x12 cab with a V30 in it (I tried putting the speaker in the cab but it was touching the chassis because it was deeper than the stock speaker). I don't know that I'd use a V30 again, but would definitely upgrade it. That's why I'd be more interested in a head...and I've already got a 2x12 cab that would work nicely with it.

Having said all that, IMHO, this is one of the best amps on the market in it's price rage. The Fender Hot Rod amps are probably the most comparable competitor, and IMO the Reverberockets blow the Hot Rods out of the water...they just don't have the popularity. If people out there really knew about this amp, Fender would seriously lose a large part of that particular market share.

Also, the above posters are right about the price. I got mine used several years ago for about $400. I'd say that $450-$500 is probably a fair price for a 2x12, and I've seen heads going for as little as $300-$350...but they are harder to find.

One last thing...the very first reissues they put out in the mid 90's had EL-34s in them (mine was one of them), giving them a hint more of a british flavor. Most since then come with 6L6s, but I was told by their tech support that you can go with either, as long as you get the amp biased accordingly.

• Members

I just remembered there is a song on my Soundclick page that was recorded with my Reverberocket. It's not a great a recording...it was recorded at practice with the band I was in at the time. Recorded onto a Mini-disc player/recorder with it's little stereo microphone hanging from the ceiling in the center of the room...and considering that, it's really not a bad recording. I was playing rhythm (the first guitar you hear) using a Charvel Surfcaster Semi-Hollow through the bridge humbucker. The amp is running through the 1x12 closed-back cab with the V30. The only added effects were chorus on the clean and some delay in a couple of spots with the overdrive channel and then the amp's reverb on both channels, but it's hard to pick out in the mix.

The lead is my buddy playing his strat through his Trademark 60 most likely, or possibly the Mesa Nomad 45 he had for a while.

Here's the link to my songs page...it's the song called "Strange Horizons" about 3/4 the way down.

Archived