Matchless HC-30 or Komet?

SE1081

• Members

Originally posted by stratton

I have the Matchless, do you have any specific questions?

I've got so many! Thanks for offering your help. here's a few of them...

What are your dislikes about it? What guitars and effect do you run through it? Does it play well at low volumes? If you have the head, what cab are you using?

that's all I got for now, I'm going to PM you in a few days. thanks again!

• Members

Sure thing. Glad to answer questions.

It doesn't have a lot of features but it's really flexible. Two very different preamps in the two channels: Ch1 is a 12AX7/ECC83 driven pre, and Ch2. is EF86.

The master volume could be better. If I had to pick a weak point, I guess that would be it. It's a lot better since I retubed it, though.

I bought the DC30 2X12 combo. After lifting it once to go to rehearsal, I bought a head shell and yanked the amp outta the speaker cab. It must have weight 75-80 lbs.

I use either the original open back 2X12, and lately a closed, vertical 2X12 with greenbacks. It sounds great with either cab. It will rock hard, classic rock, anyway, with a 4X12 too. It's only 30 watts, but this mofo is a house shaker if you turn it up.

It has a lush, harmonically rich sound in the clean and mid gain ranges. That's where it's happiest. Will not do high gain stuff convincingly. Even without a pedal, it starts to compress without really overdriving, so it responds as IF it's overdriven but it's still clean!

I recorded an entire song switching between a Tele and an LP Standard at moderate volume levels and no OD pedal, and didn't miss the OD. The amp just natually sings, even when it's clean.

Its a GREAT recording amp. Mics up really easy, sits in the mix beautifully.

It's very touch sensitive. If you want to use pedals, it works well with them. It loves Tubescreamer-ish OD pedals.

I just built a pedalboard to run in front of it, and I run an Eventide Eclipse in the efx loop. I A/B Y it with a 30W HotCat head and closed 2X12 in sort of a wet/dry rig. It's pretty amazing, humbling really, to have that much tonal capability.

I'll post more info and pics of the board tomorrow.

• Members

I don`t believe the Komet is a master volume amp if low volume playing is a concern for you. Perhaps Big Hair will step in eventually and correct me. You could also try PMing him as he has a Komet.

Personally, I would pick the Komet based on the gain sounds alone:love:

• Members

Originally posted by GYBE!

I don`t believe the Komet is a master volume amp if low volume playing is a concern for you. Perhaps Big Hair will step in eventually and correct me. You could also try PMing him as he has a Komet.

Personally, I would pick the Komet based on the gain sounds alone:love:

There may be some overlap in performance, but I'd agree, anyone looking for the Fischer "Trainwreck" type of lead sounds wouldn't be satisfied with the HC30.

FWIW, I don't use the master volume on my HC30.

Archived