Little Phatty strange problem - advice needed.

gilwe

• Members

Before I start let me say that I'm not quite sure that I don't have a defective machine under my hands, so either all I read about the LP is correct, or that there is some problem with my specific item which needs to be solved, in either case, I would like to ask for your help cuse this drives me nuts !

I just bought a used (but very slightly used) LP, which was purchased from local the authorized dealer earlier this year. I tested it using headphones for about a hour and saw no issues, payed and went to my studio. I didn't play at my studio and than took it to a rehearsal with my band. I played it for a few hours without any seen issues and it sounded great.

Yesterday I placed it in my studio and plugged the headphones - everything was right. But as I plugged a TS cable into the Audio Out of the LP and connected it to my Fireface card on the other side of the cable, something strange started to happen - the sound changed spontaneously ! Then I noticed that the actual rotating leds indicating the position of the rotary controlled parameters, are "running" left and right without having anyone touching the synth at all !

I unplugged the cable on the Fireface side and the synth stopped acting by itself and worked properly. Connected again - same problem ! I tried to connect it to an amplifier monitor instead of the Fireface - same problem.

I unplugged it from the monitor - problem stopped. I then only touched the metal cover of the TS plug, which was plugged into the LP Audio Out, and problem started again. Stop touching it - problem stops...

I then noticed that the 3 prong power cable I used has a bad ground pin making it deliver no active ground connection to the synth, so I replaced it with a proper, working 3 prong cable.

OK, now when I touch the metal cover of the plug, nothing happens (no problem), but if I connect the Audio Out to the monitor or Fireface in my studio (even the mixer...) the problem returns !!

I tried a few TS-to-TS cables, tried connecting it to different wall outlets in my apartment - same issue !

If I only plug in the headphones (to the headphone jack) and unplug the TS from the Audio Out - no problem :/

I called Moog and the representative suggested that I have a ground loop in my studio ?? I can't get how this can affect the synth... and I also can't get why would this happen at all as I have many synths and never saw and quirks of that kind !

The representative guy suggested that I test it the same way in another apartment, and so I did, and so no issues (I plugged a TS into the Audio Out and the other side of the cable to a mixer, which is connected to an amplified monitor).

Is this a known Little Phatty issue ??? and solution for this problem ?

I really like this synth but can't put it to serious work like that !

Has anyone seen this before ?

Thank you all !

• Members

Hello,

As I am thinking about buying one myself, I did a bit of research.

It seems that this is a grounding issue with some of the LPs...actually the grounding issue is in your room, or rather setup...I do not understand the details really, but if you go to the Moog forums and search a bit, you will find this discussed.

Also, I understand there are some options you have that you can discuss with Amos, the Moog technician also at the Moog forums.

I hope this helps you.

Sergiu

Archived