Need some serious help for my 6505+

SynysterGates7

• Members

So I have a Peavey 6505+. And i love the sound of it...when the volume is on 1. My problem is that when i'm at practice or show volumes, i can't turn my gain past 5 1/2. I get this crazy feedback that doesn't stop, even when my hands are on the strings. It gets better the farther away I get from the amp, but theres only so much stage. It was bought brand new, not sitting around a store waiting for people to play it and misuse it. So I've come to three conclusions to fix this problem.

1. Get a Noise Supressor/Compessor/Gate Something. I want rackmount for what ever I get. And my expeirience with compressors has turned me against them. They don't compress the noise, they compress your whole sound. Not cool. So I've been looking at the Roctron Hush Super C or the MXR SmartGate Pro. PLEAE!! Anyone who has used these, let me know if they worked.

2. Change pick-ups in my guitar. It currently has EMG-HZ, which like all EMGs, have no tone. So I've been looking at SD's and i'm stuck on two different ones. One thought is go with what bands you like, ala Synyster Gates of A7X. I love his tone, and he swears by SD Invaders. But those are hot pick-ups, and so are the ones that are currently in my gutar. So I'm afraid that I will have the same problems. Which takes me to my 2nd choice. SD George Lynch Screamin' Demon. Its a moderate output pick-up, which could possibly allow for more flexability, clarity, and articulation with my amp.

3. Change Tubes. I'm not sure what kind of tubes are in the 6505+ right now, but I've read some reviews on this site that said it solved some of they're noise problems when they had them replaced. I figured if I did go this route, I would go with some JJ/Tesla Hi-Gain tubes, as it would be most fitting with this amp. But I don't want to throw away good tubes if that isn't the problem, you know?

So you can see i've put alot of thought into this delima. This amp is gigged every weekend (sometimes during the week) and has been a pleasure at all the shows. I just want to get what i paid for by getting more out of its hi gain glory. Anyone that can help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

www.myspace.com/vegastoverona

P.S. : If anyone knows of any mods to warm up the clean channel on these amps, that would be very much appreciated too!

• Members

I can't speak for the rackmounts, but I have both a Hush and a Smartgate. They both work, but the Smartgate seem to not change your sound as much.

I've never tried one myself, but the Peavey Forum guys really like the ISP decimator. And I believe there was one for sale in the Spam thread.

• Members

let me try to help? o.k., i had a same experiance, with my 5150,and a dean usa ml. the problem was i had a bill lawrence l-500xl installed. hot fuggin pup,into a flame-thrower of an amp= disaster!! man the amp never sounded as good as when i installed a dimarzio zebra colored humbucker, a very mild pup, with a tad of crunch, but man that amp really tamed right down, never will i put a HOTTpup into an amp with tons of gain!!!! just my 2-cents worth....

• Members

Sounds like it could be a couple of different things.

1) Your pickups are too hot or may be microphonic from a bad potting job. Try swapping out pups and see how that affects things.

2) You could have a microphonic pre-amp tube. I never had that problem with my 5150 II. I ran my pre-amp gain on 6-6.5 and could easily control feedback in a closed room up to 4-5 on the master volume. That`s pretty damn loud. Definitaly gig volume.

3) Be sure to check all your cables and connections. A bad or cheap cable or bad plug could very easily cause this problem.

Good luck,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by c2rex

I can't speak for the rackmounts, but I have both a Hush and a Smartgate. They both work, but the Smartgate seem to not change your sound as much.

I've never tried one myself, but the Peavey Forum guys really like the ISP decimator. And I believe there was one for sale in the Spam thread.

i just looked up the isp. it looks like it'll work, the fact that it uses the effects loop for the distortion channel is pretty sweet. and i listened to the sound bytes and it sounded good. i think i'm just gonna get that instead of trying out the other noise gates.

but i think i'm gonna change the pick-ups anyways, so i have some QUALITY in such a nice guitar. Jackson SLSMG. Neck through, Super-Lightweight-Soloist. outside of a Parker, its the lightest guitar i've put my hands on

still would like to know more about the tubes and what could possibly be goin on with that. i understand the microphonics, but just to have more people agree before i do something about it.

but thanks for the help guys. i was getting desprate

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

Sounds like it could be a couple of different things.

1) Your pickups are too hot or may be microphonic from a bad potting job. Try swapping out pups and see how that affects things.

2) You could have a microphonic pre-amp tube. I never had that problem with my 5150 II. I ran my pre-amp gain on 6-6.5 and could easily control feedback in a closed room up to 4-5 on the master volume. That`s pretty damn loud. Definitaly gig volume.

3) Be sure to check all your cables and connections. A bad or cheap cable or bad plug could very easily cause this problem.

Good luck,

Eric

yeah, i'm running all new moster cables with a brand new Shure PGX UHF wireless

• Members

the ISP will solve the problem.the 5150 and 6505 amps are very noisy in the first place.you could also try a tube swap throw some JJ's in the pre-amp.that should cut down alot of the noise.if you decide on the ISP go for the rack g.I am glad I didn't get the pedal.I run it into the input and the loop quiet as a mofo and the amp chops like a mother{censored}er

if you tap the preamp tubes with a pencil while the amp is on and you can hear them make a god awful sound the tubes are microphonic

as far as mods go the hc masters will help

• Members

Originally posted by SynysterGates7

which like all EMGs, have no tone.

:rolleyes:

you'll need an ISP decimator.

Make sure u've got new tubes

Make sure u've got good cables

Make sure u've got a good guitar

Make sure u've got a good cab

Make sure u've got good speakers

all of these will get u the best sound. good luck

• Members

Originally posted by saxamafone

:rolleyes:

you'll need an ISP decimator.

Make sure u've got new tubes

Make sure u've got good cables

Make sure u've got a good guitar

Make sure u've got a good cab

Make sure u've got good speakers

all of these will get u the best sound. good luck

workin on the decimator, new shouldn't need new tubes, though i will check the microphonics like previously posted, all new cables with gold end and new UHF wireless, new jackson will be gettin new pickups, soldano marine birtch cabs w/ Vintage 30's

Archived