Traynor Custom YCV20WR and the Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Ani.

Jokoker

• Members

Which one has the better build quality and ease of use? I'm just jumping into tubes and I need something reliable and easy to change.

I've read that the H&K has PCB mounted tubes. Is that good or bad?

Both of them sound pretty good, so that's settled.

What I've come across on the H&K so far:

Pros:

1. My overall favorite sound out of the 2.

2. Red DI Box

Cons

1. I've read that the build quality is questionable.

2. Difficult to change tubes.

Also, does the Traynor have an auto-bias like the YCV40? That would be a big plus, as I would have to change the tubes myself and I don't want to die.

• Members

I had both.I would say that the Traynor has a bit better build quality than the Edition Tube 20,but I loved the tone of the H&k and was only so so about the tone of the Traynor...especially the overdrive tones.I regret selling the Edition Tube 20,but I don't miss the Traynor at all.I'm sure that others will have the opposite opinion.

Ed

• Members

Originally posted by Jokoker

Also, does the Traynor have an auto-bias like the YCV40? That would be a big plus, as I would have to change the tubes myself and I don't want to die.

Thanks
:wave:

Yes,the YCV20 is auto-biasing,though the tubes are a bitch to get at.To my ears,the NOS GE EL84's and NOS RCA 12AX7's that I installed gave only marginally better tone than with the stock tubes.I found the clean tones to be rather nice,but I just couldn't get past the harsh,boxy sounding overdrive tone that my amp gave.

Ed

• Members

Thanks Ed. Could you explain a bit more on the H&K's build quality. It would be a big help. If it's not too bad, I'm willing to put up with it for the sake of tone. Can you also explain the clean tone? The clips on their website are too busy.

For the record, it'll be a bedroom/recording amp.

• Members

Originally posted by EdMan57

Yes,the YCV20 is auto-biasing,though the tubes are a bitch to get at.To my ears,the NOS GE EL84's and NOS RCA 12AX7's that I installed gave only marginally better tone than with the stock tubes.I found the clean tones to be rather nice,but I just couldn't get past the harsh,boxy sounding overdrive tone that my amp gave.

Ed

That's pretty much what I've gathered from the clips I've heard. Nice cleans, but a pretty average (transparent?) overdrive. The H&K seems to have it's own sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Jokoker

Thanks Ed. Could you explain a bit more on the H&K's build quality. It would be a big help. If it's not too bad, I'm willing to put up with it for the sake of tone. Can you also explain the clean tone? The clips on their website are too busy.

For the record, it'll be a bedroom/recording amp.

Since it will be staying in your bedroom,I feel that the slight build quality issues would be a non-issue.The PC mounted tubes are in nice,tight brackets and the concern for an apparent lack of ventilation seemed unwarranted...mine ran only slightly warm to the touch.Plus there is a decent amount of room inside the cabinet.

Btw,the clean tone is very good [in Vox AC15 territory] with decent headroom for an amp of such modest output.I found the gain channel to respond extremely well to just turning down the guitar volume control.I used to gig [small to medium size blues rock venues] on the gain channel only and just use the guitar's volume for getting my clean and overdrive tones.Like I said,I really miss mine.

Ed

• Members

Originally posted by Mrmot

I had the H&K edition tube (non 20th anniv.), great little amp! the clean was very nice and the lead channel is also really good, has it's own voicing, somewhere between mesa and marshall i would say..

Yeah, I read you're old post describing that, whilst searching the archives. Very cool. :cool:

Archived