My deepest dream came true: I obtained Zyklus MPS - Midi Performance System!!!

AnalogGuy

• Members

Just wondering but, erm, is that the same derivation as Zyclon?
:lol:

"Zyklus" is a German word, it means cycle. Quote: "A process that returns to its beginning and repeats itself in the same sequence." So it's quite cleverly chosen, if you knew it's a German word to begin with. The founders themselves call it as the MPS instead of Zyklus BTW. Zyklus was just the name of the company.

AnalogGuy, funny you just started to work with it, because I too have a Zyklus MPS for about one week now. It's an awesome machine.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Finally I got it, the original SoundOnSound review of the Zyklus. It was really fun to read because we can't even imagine how unique and out-of-this-world it was at the time and the reviewer reveals us his great impressions.

I am going to make my own tribute site for the Zyklus MPS-1 but before that take a look from my friend's site which contains the review... plus I added there the Music Technology's review of Zyklus as well.

The review gives you maybe better idea, how wonderful machine it is. I agree that technical details are nothing until people can hear them in action. So, until I can start doing zyklus demos, just wait me and read the reviews:

http://www.scene.org/~esa/zyklus/

"I feel like the characters in that old sci-fi film This Island Earth must have felt when they received a complicated piece of machinery from another planet and didn't quite know what to do with it. The Zyklus MIDI Performance System is certainly out of this world in that respect, because there has been nothing like it known to man until now. To review equipment which has no parallel is impossible, to fully evaluate a machine like this is only slightly less daunting. Hopefully, I will be able to present the facts and let your imagination do the rest. Close the hatches and stand by for lift off..."

It's a sequencer, Jim, but not as we know it! :D

• Members

It is quite perverse to stir up GAS for gear that's rarer than unicorn {censored}.

Good point :p

There's many reason for this... one of them is that I want attention for that the manufacturers are never making such products that would support creating music, not just recording it. It's not about how many knobs you have got. Bill Marshall tried long time to sell his long developed ideas of features for anything new hardware or even software, but none replied for that. They just want to make same safe stuff we had been seeing for over years now.

Also, I want to find out if there's more Zyklus mps owners, because I am so much afraid that Zykluses have been ended into hands or nerdy collectors keeping them as decorations instead of actually using them. I want to collect and share as much of information as possible regarding Zykluses and the GAS is not for bad because we need more users wanting them that maybe one shiny, dreamy, utopic day we might see such devices being manufactured... that's certainly my dream.

And of course.... cheap software makes it at least possible, and there's even already Zyklus improvisor available for download which is however different from the hardware but still extremely capable thing... it's my favourite software... ah, damn, and I hate softies! :rolleyes:

Archived