1987 or 1959 plexi head?

SE1081

• Members

i am currently seeking a 1987x. and i do know that the 1959slp is cleaner . the 1987 has more dirt. as far as warmth i dunno. pick-ups and speakers will have alot of say with that also. i would get a powerbrake if you dont have one. my good friend has a 1959slp with two basket weave re issue cabs with greenies in them. he runs a goldtop l/p with alnico II pro's a standard with billy gibbons pearly gates, and an sg with seth lovers, and its warm as hell and creamy also. but thats thanx to the powerbrake giving up that cranked tone.

• Members

I know people say theyt sound different but so far as I know it's only a EL34 x 4 power stage that's different. You'd have to attenuate either - presuming you're not joining The Who anytime soon so why get the 100W? bigger, heavier, more valves to replace, more attenuation neccessary, which = more tone 'lost'.

I got a 1987x as my first tube amp. big mistake - spent the next 5 years making it quieter with attenuators and yellow jackets and stuff. If you've no experience be aware that these are ungodly loud amps.

Archived