Mesa 50 Caliber +

OldMTDP8350

• Members

I have one. $700 seems a bit high to me. I was thinking more like $500-600 depending on condition of course. Have had mine since roughly 1991. Paid about $849 new in '91. It is hard to get the clean channel and crunch channel volumes to match since there isnt a seperate vol control for each. Mine ran on the same tubes for over 10 years before I changed them.
I do mostly metal/hardcore/punk stuff so I can't comment on how it may do for your style of music....just have to try it out.
It is a Mesa so it will be solid in construction for sure.
I would imagine that your ENGL would own it perhaps? Think I would take the EngL over the .50Cal+.

• Members
Originally posted by deldgeetar

Yeah but a .50 Cal+ cuts through the mix a {censored}load better than a Fireball. Dude, take it out the door for $600 and you'll be doing fine. And don't let those {censored}ers charge you sales tax either.
:mad:

Thats what I was thinking, Its something to think about for sure.

Bill

• Members
Originally posted by OldMTDP8350

How would you compare the mark III to the 50???

Well, I cant say I ever compared them side by side, and I never officially owned a .50+, but Id say I think the 3 sounds better overall. More tonal options. But, the .50+ is a cool amp also. You can tell its in the same family.

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

Well, I cant say I ever compared them side by side, and I never officially owned a .50+, but Id say I think the 3 sounds better overall. More tonal options. But, the .50+ is a cool amp also. You can tell its in the same family.

Thanks dude. You think the 50 could get good metal tones? Like, in drop C, that 5150 like grind? I just want a different sound than everyone else.

• Members

I bought a .50+ head here on the forum less than a year ago and paid just under $500 for it. Great sounding head, but you can't really set it up for a good clean and a good dirty. Maybe if you had some single coils in the mix. I think it sounds better through GT12-75s than v30s, but I'm hoping to try it with a pair of each soon.

Archived