Sound coming from tube amp?

Rushmore

• Members

It sounds like a telephone-type sound for lack of a better way of describing it. I have a show to play Friday and the tubes (EH) aren't very old in it. It's kind of like a telephone or beeping noise and I wonder if it's a tube? How do you determine which one or if it is a tube? I don't have a tester and none of the tubes look any different (glowing-wise) or anything. Any suggestions on what this is? My volume hasn't cut out or anything, it just starts with that sound after being on for a while. ANy help would be appreciated. THx

• Members
Originally posted by potaetoes

any cellphones or cellphone chargers in the room, or in an adjacent room?

cellphones cause all sorts of trouble. remember, those things are powerful enough to send a signal to a cell tower miles away...

I don't think it is a cellphone issue, bc it has happened at two different locations. It first started at a rehearsal the other night. I practiced at home this evening and the same thing happened with my cell in the next room. :confused:

• Members

did you take your cellphone to rehearsal? were anyone else's cellphones around?

i can't think of anywhere i've been in the last few weeks that didn't have a cellphone around... damn things are everywhere.

Yeah I did, but I usually have a cellphone around everytime I play and haven't heard this problem. I'm just freaked to go to a show and have the thing crap out on me. It's not really a telephone sound, more of a "buzzy-like" telephone sound. (probably a bad example, but I can't think of anyway else to describe it).

• Members

dunno... beeping noises i've always found were interference-related, but it's possibly a tube issue.
:confused:

Thanks for the responses. I'm assuming I start w/ the preamp tubes and plug a good one 1 at a time and hope it goes away?

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

It really sounds like interference to me, but do you mean like someone talking on the phone, a dial tone, a ringing sound, a busy signal? What? Telephones make a bunch of noises.
:confused:

Not a dial tone, and not a ringing sound.....like i was saying, I said telephone for lack of a better way of describing it. It's more of a "buzzing" sound that comes in and out like a series of "buzzes"....:confused: Perhaps a better way of describing it would be that there is a bee inside of it that buzzes a few times then it stops.....Then every now and then, it comes back. I notice that it happens more after it has been on for a while. It sounds like a buzzing bee I guess....maybe an amplified sweat bee. :idea::mad:

• Members

aaaah, buzzing bee noises = preamp tube, almost certainly

Cool, I was hoping it would be something like that....So, how would I tell which one is the culprit....I looked at them while it was on and they all seem to glow the same. I tapped on them with a pencil and I'm not sure what I'm to be listening for, but I didn't notice anything odd sounding (not sure what microphonic would sound like). I guess take one out 1 at a time until it's gone?

Thanks again :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by Rushmore

Cool, I was hoping it would be something like that....So, how would I tell which one is the culprit....I looked at them while it was on and they all seem to glow the same. I tapped on them with a pencil and I'm not sure what I'm to be listening for, but I didn't notice anything odd sounding (not sure what microphonic would sound like). I guess take one out 1 at a time until it's gone?

Thanks again
:wave:

By swapping each preamp tube one at a time until it goes away :confused:

• Members

IMO, the cell phone is a more likely source of the problem. Cell phones put out a keep-alive/locator signal periodically to tell the cell tower they're resident in the area and are turned on. When I'm on my computer, that signal from the cell phone is audible through my speakers. It happens through my tube amps, too.

• Members

Wanted to post my findings on this issue in case someone else were searching the forums with similar problems.

It indeed was cellphone interference. I have been playing tube amps for a long time and have never experienced this too much, but I was playing my Dr. Z (not the amp that was originally the problem in this thread) and heard the same problem. I called someone and had them wait 2 minutes and then call me. All of the sudden, the sound came back @ 5 seconds before the cellphone rang. Turned on my V30 head and did the same thing = same result. I took the phone in the next room and had it called.....still a bit of the same interference. I didn't realize they could affect the amp that much. :idea:

• Members

this has recently become something I've noticed too... with my old cell I never had interfecence issues, but I recently got a razr and now I know it's gonna ring a few seconds before it does because no matter where I am, at work with studio monitors, in my car with the stereo on, playing my amp, I get weird buzzes first.

Archived