Need help with tubes in my Peavey ULTRA 60 head

nyck

• Members

here's what it's got:

4 preamp tubes-12ax7

2 poweramp tubes-6L6

clean, crunch, and ultra channels.

apparently, the crunch channel doesn't work at all, but the ultra and clean work fine. i think 2 of 4 tubes are glowing. the reverb knob works as a presence control and the tank has been disconnected. i don't use reverb or cleans anyway. will it damage the amp if i leave a preamp tube out of a slot?

i want to get some better sounding preamp tubes, which do you suggest. i want a tight, fat, huge hi gain sound that isn't muddy.

thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by nyck

here's what it's got:

4 preamp tubes-12ax7

2 poweramp tubes-6L6

clean, crunch, and ultra channels.

apparently, the crunch channel doesn't work at all, but the ultra and clean work fine. i think 2 of 4 tubes are glowing. the reverb knob works as a presence control and the tank has been disconnected. i don't use reverb or cleans anyway. will it damage the amp if i leave a preamp tube out of a slot?

i want to get some better sounding preamp tubes, which do you suggest. i want a tight, fat, huge hi gain sound that isn't muddy.

thanks!

The tubes are heated with DC voltage in series so you can't leave any tubes out or it won't work.

The reverb circuit is solid state so the tubes have nothing to do with that.

The channel switching could be a bad relay, but there are many other thigns it could be too.

Time for a tech.

Jerry

Archived