Nord E2 Pitchy overtones?

tylert

• Members

I bought a used nord E2 for a really great price. I am over all, very happy with it in a live setting. when recording and playing at home I noticed immediately the pitchy overtones in all the ep's. You hear it mostly on the Rhodes and Wurly patches in the upper register. If I'm playing F and A together I hear a F# overtone and this goes for any chord up top. Obviously very dissonant sounding. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience this.. what their thoughts are and any solutions (eqing?). My other problem with the Rhodes and wurly patches is that they seem very bassy in every amp/Pa that I've put it though. I'm thinking of using a Mackie mixing board to balance it out. any advice on these minor yet annoying problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Casted this out awhile ago, but no bits yet. The more I play it, the more it really bugs me. its absolutely heart breaking cause the over all sound of the samples aren't that bad compared to a real rhodes, its just really annoying. I would have already returned it if I bought it band new cause a keyboard in this type of price range should be without flaws.

• Members

I have an E2 and don't think I've ever had the first problem you describe ever. The second prob maybe just a little. Have you tried to go to the Clavia/Nord website and maybe download factory settings (I think we can do that, though I've never tried myself)? Anyway, if you don't have any luck here, the Nord forum is VERY active with Nord Nerds who might address your issues.

• Members

The first thing that I did when I purchased my used Nord Electro2 was to download the factory voices and settings. The previous owner of mine had all the preset sounds messed up. After downloading the factory settings you can then arrange and tweak them to your liking. I wouldn't be so quick to dis the electro. Except for your post, I have never heard of anyone that doesn't like their Nords.

• Members

Sounds like a "resultant tone". Rhodseseses do it too.

Funny: I came at it from the other direction, thinking "something is wrong with my Rhodes!" And then I found the same thing on my Electro 3. For me the mystery note was LOWER than the two notes I played on the keyboard.

Interesting topic, resultant tones. It's all in our heads!

• Members

Sounds like a "resultant tone". Rhodseseses do it too.

Funny: I came at it from the other direction, thinking "something is wrong with my Rhodes!" And then I found the same thing on my Electro 3. For me the mystery note was LOWER than the two notes I played on the keyboard.

Interesting topic, resultant tones. It's all in our heads!

Yeah, I have a well set up Mark 2 54 key. I've never heard it on that, but then again the mk2 was made to sound clearer, more dynamic than the mk1. Its not a problem playing live but definitely apparent in a studio recording. I mostly use my mk2 for recording but I wanted to hear how the nord came across. I think I'll try downloading the factory settings. I wasn't sure if they'd been changed or not. I did download the mkv a few days ago and its been my main rhodes for live use. I'm not that fond of the real mkv's but it seems to have the right amount of bell & bark to cut through the mix. I'm definitely not "dissing" the nord keyboards as others have stated, I think the nord two is amazing for the time it was released but I'm not so sure if Id pay the original price. The pitchy overtone would not be the deal breaker for me... it's the low output level, but I've already found ways to fix that. I almost bought the Sv1 but I hated the rhodes and wurly tone on them. The N2 is far superior.

Thanks for you help.

Archived