Marshal dsl 100 tube recomendation

LIVEWIRE

• Members

Originally posted by stangme01

what don't you like about the JJ preamps? I was thinking of getting some soon?

Thanks

Personal preference - some do, some don't. Personally, I like them in V1 - they add warmth, and nice mids. I DON'T like all JJ preamp tubes, however, because they CAN get muddy.

It really depends on the amp. A warm, boomy amp by nature probably wouldn't like them. A bright, harsh, fizzy sounding amp loves them, and it tames them nicely.

• Members

To answer the poster, Mullard reissue EL34's sound AWESOME in the DSL's. I've used them in a DSL50, and it sounded fantastic.

A Groove Tube Mullard reissue 12AX7-M works nicely in V1, a JJ in V2, and a 12AX7EH in V3, and a balanced/graded JJ in the PI slot brings the amp alive. Trust me.

I've owned 3 DSL's, and a TSL60 - they need good tubes, and proper bias, which can be done by yourself. It's simple to test, and adjust the bias with a digital multimeter.

• Members

Originally posted by doomsdaymachine

Personal preference - some do, some don't. Personally, I like them in V1 - they add warmth, and nice mids. I DON'T like all JJ preamp tubes, however, because they CAN get muddy.

It really depends on the amp. A warm, boomy amp by nature probably wouldn't like them. A bright, harsh, fizzy sounding amp loves them, and it tames them nicely.

cheers dude, you answered it perfectly lol

mud mud mud

i'm gonna whack some other tubes in my marshall. can't decide what yet.

• Members

My DSL100 was retubed quite recently. For power tubes i just went with what the majority likes here; winged "C" EL34's , and they do sound AWESOME. For preamp tubes i experimented ALOT. I tried alot of different pre-amp tubes and got the best results with a NOS Telefunken smooth plate in V1, a re-issue Tung-sol in V2 and Chinese for the other slots. At fist i didn't believe the NOS hype too, but spending some extra cash on a good NOS tube for the V1 slot really does make a difference, it makes your amp sound warmer and "bigger".

• Members

My Marshall DSL 100 was really bright before I had it modded by Voodooamps. In the pre's I've tried Chinese, JJ's, EH, Tung-Sol, Ruby (Chinese), GT-Mullard reissue's, and Jan Phillips 12AT7's in the PI (V4).

For Power tubes I've tried JJ E34L and Ruby BTSR's.

For my DSL (which is still pretty bright) I found the best combination to be a Tung-Sol Reissue in V1 (110/110), a lower gain JJ ecc83S in V2 and V3, and a Jan Phillips 12AT7 balanced for the phase inverter. My amp has tons of gain since being modded so a 110/110 Tung-sol is all I need and the rest of the pre's can be lower gain.

For the powers I went back to the the E34L's. The BTSR's just didn't work out for my amp; it was harder to tame the highs.

I played a show with this set up over the weekend and it flat out smoked. The sound guy could not believe how good my amp sounded; he said my sound was overwhelming it was so good. I had a hard on again for the first time in a while over my sound. Biasing makes a big difference. You just need to play around with variations and see what works best.

Good luck...

• Members

Order from Doug's Tubes and he puts the gain value on the preamp tube for you. Very helpful imo.

I had a 105/105 Tung-Sol in V1 with the low gain JJ's and 12AT7 first. Then I tried the 110/110 Tung-Sol and it made the difference I was looking for. In cases like that, it helps to have that value.

• Members

Originally posted by Junk Yard Dog

Order from Doug's Tubes and he puts the gain value on the preamp tube for you. Very helpful imo.

I had a 105/105 Tung-Sol in V1 with the low gain JJ's and 12AT7 first. Then I tried the 110/110 Tung-Sol and it made the difference I was looking for. In cases like that, it helps to have that value.

i'm in the uk

• Members

Oops...I didn't pay attention to that before. I'm sure he can still ship, and I"m sure there are plenty of other vendors in the UK. Watford Valves is one that comes to mind. Don't know their web address, but do a search. I'm sure they can give you the ratings for each tube either on the tube or on the box it comes in. Others may disagree with my opinion, but it's based on my experience.

Good luck and have fun.

• Members

A DSL has a gain knob. Doesn't matter how much your pre-amp tube rates, unless you want insane gain and make noise instead of music. For a non-mv amp i would prefer a high rating pre-amp tube. For MV amps like the DSL i prefer headroom.

• Members

Oops...I didn't pay attention to that before. I'm sure he can still ship, and I"m sure there are plenty of other vendors in the UK. Watford Valves is one that comes to mind. Don't know their web address, but do a search. I'm sure they can give you the ratings for each tube either on the tube or on the box it comes in. Others may disagree with my opinion, but it's based on my experience.

Good luck and have fun.

cheers dude, i usually get my valves from watford valves but they don't put gain values on the preamps :(

they're great for match power tubes though.

• Members

Thanks for all the input guys. I e-mailed doug at dougs tubes

and he recommened the following

I would consider the JJ KT77's if you are looking for a little bark, extended lows and highs and 3D mid-range clarity. The RUBY EL34BSTR's have a 'wall of sound' vibe to them with firm low end and nice compression.

Preamp tubes to go with are Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7, JJ ECC83S, and Shuguang 12ax7C9's

doug is a great guy to deal, with ill be ordering soon

and again thanks for all the help

Livewire :thu:

• Members

I would consider the JJ KT77's if you are looking for a little bark, extended lows and highs and 3D mid-range clarity. The RUBY EL34BSTR's have a 'wall of sound' vibe to them with firm low end and nice compression.

Preamp tubes to go with are Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7, JJ ECC83S, and Shuguang 12ax7C9's

• Members

Archived