Multifx question /TCFireworx/ posting here as no answers on other forums

iphoenix

• Members

Hey all,

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/wave.gif

I posted this on the 'recording' & 'effects' forums, but nobody answering, so Ill try here. Thanks.

Fireworx (TC Electronics) pros/cons...is it worth it?

Ive been wanting to buy a TC Fireworx for many years & now have the chance to pick one up for a reasonable price (@ 400 Euros / @ $535).

I have a basic studio & am only interested in recording my own compositions & works , with the occasional guest musician at the moment.

I record mainly on A Roland VS2000 & VS1680 hard disc recorders & dont use a computer at the moment for recording . I dont have an audio interface, & sometimes use the digital outs / ins on the VS recorders when I want to get my music onto my computer ( G4 Mac Powerbook)

My music is mostly synthesizer based, but I also work with beats & loops, as well as acoustic & electric guitar, bass & percussion & vocals.

I have been using the Roland multi-effects (VS2FX) ( in the VS1680 ) as my main multi effects source for over 10 years & I get by with them. I have 6 FX cards between the 2 VS recorders, & one on the Roland MV8000,

the question I want to ask you esteemed gear users is; --

-- Given that I have quite a lot of FX power with the Roland VS cards (& the type of usage they get);

Would a TC Fireworx be a really worthwhile addition to my setup?

I know that the quality of the effects is much higher in the TC, most notable the reverbs, but are the rest of the effects that much better than on the Roland FX cards?

EG : Yes there are impressive vocoders & filters & compressors / etc on the TC, & the mod matrix is very useful, but theoretically I have a powerful FX mod matrix with the 3 sets of Roland FX cards, which include vocoders/ filters /compression etc.

I also have a Korg SDD2000 Delay , which Ive had since the late 1980s, & I like that very much for what it does, & an analogue delay ( Pearl) & a few Boss & Yamaha FX pedals.

The digital interface on the Fireworx adds to its desirability for me.

I dont intend to go 'in-the box' just yet, but I have enjoyed dabbling with 'Live', Reason, Reaktor, Garageband, Digital Performer, Absynth, & a few other apps.

I prefer the workflow using hardware for now, but plan on picking up a Firewire Interface at some point in the near future.

I listened to all the TC Fireworx demos on the TC site, & any other demos I could find, & apart from the excellent reverbs I wasnt overly impressed , to the point of seduction with the sounds.

Any relevant guidance is most welcome if you have the time.

Warm regards P

Archived