B-52 At-100/ B-52 At-212 owners!?

vifitflag909

• Members

I've been thinking about picking on of these up. Some other members have suggested picking up different amps, used, because they might be better, but the used selection around my area is terrible and online is out of the question. I'm going to get to trying one of these B-52's out at guitar center, some day. I was wondering for all you people that actually owned them, or played them, how would the clean channel do with a light overdrive pedal such as a Boss 0D-3 for pop/pyschedelic/indie tones. I keep using the word "jangle" over and over again, almost abusing it, but that is the closest term to describe what I want. My budget for an amp is about $800.

I wil also want the ability for heavier gain for classic rock,punk and speed metal, henceforth me maybe getting a B-52 over a Vox Ac30 or something else similiar, but less versatile.

Also, how many have had unreliability problems? I've heard mixed reviews about these amps and relability. AND how low a price did you score at guitar center, if you got yours there?

• Members

I picked up a floor model/demo AT-212 Combo at GC last 4th of July for $250. I knew nothing about the amp and bought it on impulse as the price was so low. I didn't even bother to check out the amp till I got it home. At home I found it was rather shopworn and there was a very loud hum in the clean channel. I e-mailed the factory about the hum and they offered to send replacement tubes, or if I wanted, to exchange the amp at the factory for a brand new one out of the box. I opted for the latter as the tolex was very scuffed up. Also, the factory is only like 30 minutes from my home. So I drove down and they exchanged the amp with no further questions.

So anyway now I have a brand new, $750.00 100 watt 2x12 tube amp for $250.

You mentioned "jangle". This amp chimes on the clean channel and my Rick 360 sounds fantastic through it, as do my Gretsch 6118, Fenders and Gibsons. It really brings out the character of the individual guitars. The tone is fantastic at low volume. I prefer the clean channel and can't go past 1 or 2 on the Master and Gain in my apartment. I'm not playing out at the moment so I haven't had the chance to really crank it.

There is still a slight hum in the clean channel but I've been told this can be remedied by replacing the stock pre-amp tubes with JJ's.

Can't comment on the overdrive channels as I'm not into that sound and rarely use them.

Here a B-52 forum where you can ask more questions:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/B_52_AT_100_Forum/index.php?act=idx

• Members

The clean channel is probably the best part about it, takes OD/dist pedals REALLY REALLY well. I like channels 2&3 also but they are a little thin feeling when you play, and dynamics

are not the greatest. But great sound for the price, can get some pretty good high gain too. I like class A setting (which most people don't they like solid state) because it seems much less compressed. Its a really nice amp, but i have money burning a hole in my pocket so i'm gonna pick up a Peavey JSX or 6505+

The AT-100 cab is also VERY nice, but the only head it doesn't suit is the AT-100 head :freak: , i found a cab with greenbacks sounded GREAT with the at-100.

You won't find anything better for the price believe me. And guitar center will give it to you for $625 + tax (i talked them down even lower than that!) so don't pay full price!

• Members

thanks guys, it seems like this amp might be VERY good for what I'm looking for. I'll just have to get up to guitar center and try one out before I make any rash decisions. I think i'm gonna try and shoot for around $600 for the 212 combo, or maybe $700 for the combo and the boss od-3 (if I like it.) thanks alot for the advice and the link.

• Members

yeah i've got the at-100 cab too, i replaced the speakers with g12T-75s and v30's, didn't like it so i threw 2 stockers back in mixed with the 75's and quite a bit better sounding than stock. The cab itself is very solid. I did pull out the cheapo screws that hold hte back panel on and replaced them with some big hex head screws.

• Members

I've been working with an AT-100 head thru a 4x12 with Greenbacks for several months. I've had some tube issues right out the door. The tubes...this is one thing that many AT fans change out. I've heard that re-tubing can tame some of the harshness that can come to the fore in these amps. I really like the gain a lot...that's the main reason I got it. But they do have a reputation for being bright, and even sometimes a little harsh sounding...many on a AT-100 site have had good results with JJ tubes.

Since I like the sounds, the versatility and the gain much, I plan to retube the thing regardless. I just played a new Mesa Recto thru a Mesa cab yesterday and must say, for whatever reason, I still prefer the B-52 tone over the Mesa. Or a 5150..go figure. Just my ears, I guess.

• Members

The comparisons to a mesa are all over the place but I don't think I would ever consider buying a rectifier from what i've heard and what they're mostly used for. The clean channel seems to be quite a gem on the b-52. I found a website with a set of clips comparing the lead channel of a mesa (dual?) rectifier to the b-52's and I can honestly say, i like the b-52 better for high gain in most of the clips comparisons.

I just wish there was clips of the clean and some low gain, anyone know of where to get these? or have any themselves?

more response of this amp, anyone?

• Members

people compare it to mesa recto? :confused: whoever does that has NEVER played a recto, wow the differences are as big as you can get. Thats like saying a jcm800 is like a recto.

Anyway yeah the clean channel is where this amp shines. The crunch and lead channels aren't dynamic and IMO are not that great, now that i've a/b'd my 6505+ with it tonight there is just a huge difference in quality tone between the distortion on both amps, the peavey makes the b-52 sound terrible, for low and high gain. But the 6505's clean channel cannot hold a candle to the b-52 clean channel. I REALLY like the clean channel on the b-52 :thu:

• 14 years later...
  • Members

Get it man! I love mine! Absolutely crushes anything you want to do with it. Only issue I've had is one of the input jacks fell apart on me the plastic just crumbled. Also I suggest the mod I had done is to put a fan in to cool the tubes. If done correctly you wont get any motor hum. You can't beat these amps for the money, no matter what mods you need to do.