G Major Help

Rayneman

• Members

Damnit, turned on my rack today and my G Major turns on, and there are some things on the screen that are lit, but it doesn't have any preset numbers, and the unit does not respond to any controls (and, no output).

I did as system parameter reset, which worked (hold tap buttin when powering on, so the LCD screen works fine) but the reset doesn't seem to do anything.

Has this happened to anyone? I searched the TC Electronics site but didn't see anything that applied and the manual does not address this type of situation.

Thanks!

• Members

This damn thing...from day one, nothing but problems. I did buy it used but in "new" condition.

Thank God I have an Xpression as my main unit I use live...I've been building a nice rack system at home and thought I'd the G Major another shot.

The comment about the buttons falling off...completely correct. If I walk by the thing the parameter wheels come tumbling off. In fact, those sons of bitches have basically stopped working...to change parameters, all I can do is just spin the wheel and see where it stops. The click-by-click increments have long ceased to function.

OK...deep breath.

I took it out of the rack and...well, I beat the living {censored} of this thing. For a moment I thought I might go all Michael Richards on it, but I stopped myself before I actually put in on the floor to jump up and down on it.

Plugged it back in, turned it on, nothing...so I tried the "reset" again, and this time it said something about "kernals" having been cleared or something, and then it just started right up with all my presets still intact.

Unbelievable.

• Members

Originally posted by Rayneman

This damn thing...from day one, nothing but problems. I did buy it used but in "new" condition.

Thank God I have an Xpression as my main unit I use live...I've been building a nice rack system at home and thought I'd the G Major another shot.

The comment about the buttons falling off...completely correct. If I walk by the thing the parameter wheels come tumbling off. In fact, those sons of bitches have basically stopped working...to change parameters, all I can do is just spin the wheel and see where it stops. The click-by-click increments have long ceased to function.

OK...deep breath.

I took it out of the rack and...well, I beat the living {censored} of this thing. For a moment I thought I might go all Michael Richards on it, but I stopped myself before I actually put in on the floor to jump up and down on it.

Plugged it back in, turned it on, nothing...so I tried the "reset" again, and this time it said something about "kernals" having been cleared or something, and then it just started right up with all my presets still intact.

Unbelievable.

I had a Boss SE-50 that freaked out on me and the only way to bring it back was to reset the p-ram. I removed the battery and jumped the terminals on the logic board together for a few seconds and it was good as new. Unfortunately you loose any settings you may have changed. Some units let you export changes you make to an external device so they can be imported after reset. If your G-Major doesn't allow this I suggest writing down any changes you make.

• Members

OK...deep breath.

Unbelievable.

Sell it and buy a G-force, its what im doing :)

And my middle names are Michael Richard! :D

• Members

OK...deep breath.

Unbelievable.

Yeh. I've smacked {censored} into mine before. And it still works. :freak: I went through a month where it just had problems. Nothing before or since.

• Members

Damnit, turned on my rack today and my G Major turns on, and there are some things on the screen that are lit, but it doesn't have any preset numbers, and the unit does not respond to any controls (and, no output).

I did as system parameter reset, which worked (hold tap buttin when powering on, so the LCD screen works fine) but the reset doesn't seem to do anything.

Has this happened to anyone? I searched the TC Electronics site but didn't see anything that applied and the manual does not address this type of situation.

Thanks!

the first one I bought did this everyother time I fired it up. Turned out it had a couple of faulty componants, so I was able to return it. My replacement did that to me 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years, but only when I shut it off by just cutting the power to my Furman unit. It seems the G-Major doesnt like that. If your doing the same, or something similar (IE turning your rack all on on and off using just a power strip or just pulling out the plug) STOP IT. Tunr the G-major off, wait a few seconds till you hear a 'click' from the unit and its totally off...THAN cut the main power. Also follow the same principal for powering it up and you should be fine

• Members

Unbelievable.

If you can find the massive g-major thread by danns the man, I put in a guide on how to clean the wheels and make them work perfect again!:) Its not hard to fix:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by cavemanic

If you can find the massive g-major thread by danns the man, I put in a guide on how to clean the wheels and make them work perfect again!
:)
Its not hard to fix:thu:

Thanks, I will search for that...oh wait I guess NOT.

If its that big, maybe it'll have a recent post...I will definitely check it out.

• Members

Originally posted by 50foot midget

the first one I bought did this everyother time I fired it up. Turned out it had a couple of faulty componants, so I was able to return it. My replacement did that to me 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years, but only when I shut it off by just cutting the power to my Furman unit. It seems the G-Major doesnt like that. If your doing the same, or something similar (IE turning your rack all on on and off using just a power strip or just pulling out the plug) STOP IT. Tunr the G-major off, wait a few seconds till you hear a 'click' from the unit and its totally off...THAN cut the main power. Also follow the same principal for powering it up and you should be fine

{censored}, I have only just recently put the thing in rack with a Furman conditioner...and I just leave the G-Major on but power all my preamps and processors on/off with the Furman. I never thought that might screw it up.

Thanks for the advice!

• Members
Originally posted by cavemanic

If you can find the massive g-major thread by danns the man, I put in a guide on how to clean the wheels and make them work perfect again!
:)
Its not hard to fix:thu:

Link to the G-Major tips thread in my sig. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

P.S. Thanks for the name check cavemanic. :cool:

• Members

OK...deep breath.

Unbelievable.

I told you man...you just have to beat it and it'll start working. This guy I used to jam with had one and every once in a while it would get stuck during the boot up process. We'd hit it a couple of times, restart it and it would work. LOL!

I've owned 3 or 4 of these units and have luckily never had a problem. I bought the extended warranty from MF with my last one just in case.

• Members

{censored}, I have only just recently put the thing in rack with a Furman conditioner...and I just leave the G-Major on but power all my preamps and processors on/off with the Furman. I never thought that might screw it up.

Thanks for the advice!

no prob. Hope that solves your problem.

I do the same now with my TubeFex just to be on the safe side.

• Members
Originally posted by rockappalla

i'm interested in buying a g-major...any clips recorded by you?
:p

I use it pretty sparingly for a little delay and sometimes a slight detune.

This is just a patch with delay, but I think it might have a little pitch detune as well.

JEM => Bogner Ecstasy 101A => FX loop/G Major =>Marshall 1960 w/ GT12 75s and V30s.

Clip with G major

• Members

I use it pretty sparingly for a little delay and sometimes a slight detune.

This is just a patch with delay, but I think it might have a little pitch detune as well.

JEM => Bogner Ecstasy 101A => FX loop/G Major =>Marshall 1960 w/ GT12 75s and V30s.

GREAT TONE BUDDY!!...and really good playing...

Archived