Any opinions on Celestion V12-60 speakers?

hoerni

• Members

The local music shop is blowing these out on clearance. They are 8 ohm Silver Series V12-60 speakers

I was thinking about getting 2 for a 2x12 ported cabinet I have. Mostly clean to crunch kinda stuff. The head is an old Sound amp w/o master volume.

Has anybody tried these?

Thanks

• Members

I loooove these speakers, very natural sounding. Tons of warmth and low end. It's got a very smooth midrange and treble response. The best words to describe this speakers are big, warm, smooth, neutral. I feel they let the amp do the talking ;) How much are they...you should get some for me ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Dimebag11

I loooove these speakers, very natural sounding. Tons of warmth and low end. It's got a very smooth midrange and treble response. The best words to describe this speakers are big, warm, smooth, neutral. I feel they let the amp do the talking
;)
How much are they...you should get some for me
;)

My son runs a pair of Celestion V60-12's in his sealed 2-12 Lopo cabinet.To my ears,they sound like what I was hoping that Celestion Greenback's would sound like.They give a full,warm bottom,smooth mids with a nicely compressed top-end...works exceptionally well for playing higher gain stuff at lower volumes.Btw,my son uses an Ampeg VH-140C,Mesa/Boogie Studio 22+ and Roland Bolt 60 head through his V12-60 loaded cabinet.

Ed

• Members

http://namm.harmony-central.com/Newp/1997/Silver-Series.html

I think somepeople are getting them confused with a different speaker. Its not a V-10 60 like the guy above. Pretty sure they are NOT in Engl cabs.

I have a Crate 4x12 that has Silver Series V-12 80's. They sound pretty good. Balanced speaker, sounds great when cranked. Good low end.

• Members

Originally posted by hoerni

Thanks all!

Looks like they would be just about right for what I need then. I'm going to try to pic some up today or tomorrow.

Hey, if you want a pair of V-30's let me know. I ripped them out of my Bogner cab. They are Marshall branded, but the same thing:)

• Members

I have used the speaker on a few ocations to tame overly bright amps. To my ears, they sound like the Classic Lead 80. Or at least have that vide to them. In any case, I really like them, and would recomend them. They have a very even frequency response that plays well with just about any amp I have used them with.

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

Hey, if you want a pair of V-30's let me know. I ripped them out of my Bogner cab. They are Marshall branded, but the same thing:)

Hmmm, are they 8 ohm? I need to wire two in parallel for a 4ohm cab.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth Man

2 x 8 Ohm in parallel will give you 4 Ohm.

Yes, I know, that's why I need 8 ohm speakers for a 2x12 cabinet. Danny offered my 16 ohm speakers, which would be fine for a 4 ohm 4x12, but don't help me with my 2x12.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My word is that they kick all kinds of ass with my Blackmore:D

They actually have a little Greenback quality in there regarding the smoothness IMO. However, they have a bigger, tighter low end and a more modern mid shape (not as forward or "woody" sounding). They were smooth right out of the box after about 10 minutes of moderate volume playing. Amazing speaker all around. I was expecting much less.

I don't see where the CL80 comparisons come from (unless it is extremely pushed CL80's) The CL80 is my least favorite Celestion and always sounded stiff and boxy at the volumes I usually play at.

I would now rank the Celestions as this:

1) Greenback/V12-60 tie depending on application (vintage/modern)

2) GT-75

3) A well broken in V30

4) G12-65

5) G12h30

6) CL80

• Members
Originally posted by hoerni

You know me Dan, it takes forever for me to get something done.
:)

Actually, I need to place an order for some electronic components so I can order new jacks and wire it up stereo.

Let me know how it goes. I may be up for checking em out if you dont like em.

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

Let me know how it goes. I may be up for checking em out if you dont like em.

Sure. I'll let you know when they're in and setup and you can bring over any head you want to try through that cab.

(or you could probably borrow the cab for a little while - it's not like we can crank it in my house)

Archived