No search, so I'm gathering info to retube my Meas Boogie F-30.

tlchase68

• Members

I've checked out a few websites (Eurotubes & Dougstubes). Bob at Eurotubes was very helpful and suggested JJ's...No surprise there! What do you guys think? I have no clue when it comes to this subject, so please offer some guidance.

This is a portion of my email to Bob:

Here's the deal...This is an awesome little amp with huge potential; however, I find the overdrive is way too harsh (flabby/brittle) and there is a constant hum present in both channels. While Channel 1 offers some nice clean tones, Channel 2 goes from a decent usable overdriven tone (at lower settings) to a flabbly/muddy mess in no time. There is also a 2nd mode in Channel 2 that provides even higher gain along with a bigger, muddier mess! Can you please suggest some new tubes to smooth things out and help reduce humming? FWIW, I enjoy all styles of music (everything from Country to Metal) and have a variety of FX pedals. I currently use Fender Deluxe Plus Strat with Bill Lawrence P'ups, and I'm looking to add a dual humbucker type guitar to the mix. I'm ready to take this amp to the next level, so I can release it's inner tone monster...And, I am willing to replace all the tubes in the amp to achieve this. BTW, since Mesa amps are fixed bias, can I can perform this mod myself...Or, should I take it to a trained professional?

Okay let me have it.

Thanks!

Archived