Rack version of a Korg X50/TR?

HSL

• Members

As far as I know the X50 and TR are synths that contain the original 32mb rom of the Triton series, but with an added 32mb of other samples for a total of 64mb of rom. Is there a Korg rack out there that contains this very sample/sound set? I think the older Triton Rack is only 32mb of rom, and the Trinity is just ancient. I'd like to avoid an entirely new keyboard/synth and go with a rack version if possible but it's looking like they don't have a rack version with this soundset, unless I'd want to go with an M3 module of which I already have...

• Members

The nearest you'll get is probably a Korg Micro-X. Its basically a 25 key X50 with a different selection of presets. I would say it's small enough to not be intrusive space wise. I don't think there's a straight up rack version of the X50/TR keyboards.

• Members

How about a Triton rack with piano, vintage and dance expansions? It would get you close to the TR especially, I think - as close as anything could get.

The 32Mb that were added to the MicroX, are totally different from the extra 32Mb that the TR/X50 have. TR/X50 are more bread and butter and have a better piano sample, while MicroX is dance/pop/synth oriented. The only thing they have in common is the basic 32Mb Triton ROM.

• Members

LOL... don't get me started. I'm not really sure what Korg was thinking with the MicroX but it isn't really a well thought out for formed product. I know a few on this forum went 'ga ga' over this little unit, but I find it neither groundbreaking nor very functional. I'll give the pro's and cons after owning TWO.. and kicking myself after each trade/purchase. :facepalm:

Sounds

Pro's... it is access to the original Triton rom and a new 32 rom for a pretty generally affordable price.

Con's... the rom presets for the most part are either pretty uninspired or unusuable in most recording/gigging situations. 1 insert and 2 master effects. Pretty weak soup if you ask me. Not enough BnB sounds to complement a synth rig, and not enough leads and fast synths to offer anything groundbreaking. Compared to an older rack with the Dance Expansion card this doesn't even compete. Furthermore, because of the DJ market they intended to market this too... many of the combi's are written with awful sounding, outdated hip hop drum patterns... yet the drum kits included in the Micro X are anemic. It is dance and pop oriented... synth... no way. The patch offerings in the lead and Fast categories are nothing even close to the best all time Triton patches. What were you thinking KORG??? :confused:

Editing

Pro's... easily connects to a PC for editing. That's good because even at gunpoint you would NEVER want to edit via that tiny screen and poorly planned joystick navigation. And greyscale character text against RED LED backlighting??? Again... what were you thinking KORG. :confused:

Cons... The MicroX editor is cumbersome to use... Browsing categories, trying to rewrite patches and digging under the hood... none of it even resembles the folder layout within the MicroX OS. It's like working on two differen't synths. I've run into a situation a few times where I've made edits and tried to rename the patch, and the edits save but the patch name remains unchanged???? :arg:

Design

Pro's... the controls are laid out in front of you... category buttons, four control knobs, octave shift.

Con's... Most of the controls are laid out to the left of the 25 key controller keybed. So it really is as big as a 37 key synth making it a little awkward if you are looking to save space. 25 keys is pretty limiting for any performance. As maybe a synth stocked with great sounding mono/poly it makes sense... but this has neither. You will ultimately have to hook this to a larger controller if you want to achieve anything dynamic while performing with it. As noted before the LED screen is nearly unusable except for identifying the patch/combi. At least access to global is fairly easy to access.

Build quality

Pro's... light as a feather... feels like a stack of paper plates. The finest thin plastic on this side of the Rockies. Comes with a cheap plastic case to protect from bumps and falls.

Con's... although easy to transport it's not really gig worthy... for all of the reasons above including the build quality. I have taken mine to shows but frequent gigs I feel this won't hold up to the rigors. I actually sidelined the Orange case with a bulletproof small rifle case from Pelican because I felt that opening and closing the sliding buttons was just asking for breakage.

All in all the MicroX isn't a terrible idea... it's just not a very good one. I'm not certain what Korg was looking to achieve with this one. Perhaps additional revenue from the retired Triton rom and marketing to players who like to play notes with one fingers. Had this come in a rack I may have been less critical because at the least it force you to use this as a sound module instead of a poorly designed keyboard controller, micro synth. In the end it does nothing really well. My only saving grace is that I didn't pay much for mine. If all I needed/wanted was some triton sounds without ever leaving my studio then I guess it would suffice. I currently use it for rehersals and quickly working song ideas out as they come to me. But I would never see this as a replacement for a fully fledged Tritron in any instance. In this case it's only as good as it's limitations allow and it's limitations are plentiful. It get's a 4 out of 10 from me.

• Members

As far as I know the X50 and TR are synths that contain the original 32mb rom of the Triton series, but with an added 32mb of other samples for a total of 64mb of rom. Is there a Korg rack out there that contains this very sample/sound set? I think the older Triton Rack is only 32mb of rom, and the Trinity is just ancient.

I think you'd be surprised how good the Trinity sounds. I have a TR synth and the TR-rack (Trinity), and I think the Trinity sounds better for a lot of sounds, especially atmospheric/synthy stuff. IMO the effect section (5 IFX on the trinity, only one IFX on the TritonLE/TR/X50/MicroX series) makes a bigger difference than the samples, except for pianos and the like maybe.

Archived