The RPM Challenge: Make an Album in a month! (Feb)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can I just record 35 minutes of an insane self-generating drone thingy on my modular, pass it through the grain delay in Live, and call it an album?

You could, and so could I, but I think the 'metal machine music' route might be a bit of a copout.

It's not much of a challenge if we all pretend we've fallen out with our record labels and are recording 45 minutes of sh*te to get off of the contract.

• Members

The white Casios are usually cool, from the early 80's. If you can find out the model # that would help! kinda poor right now but I'm tempted!

It's still there. Let me know if you want it as soon as you can so I can go get it before someone else buys it:)

End of video shows the beautiful tropical region where I live:)

• Members
Let's simplify this. 99% of my favorite records took longer. The only album that's a classic for me that took just a month is "The Slip" from NIN.

I'm certainly not trying to crap on the idea of recording an album in a month. Quite the opposite, I'm attempting it. Today is my first day off from my job (Medical dispatch, which starts at 12pm and ends at 11pm, add commute and you can see why those are generally dead days. Luckily I only work three of them a week). So it's now time to review which projects are going to make the cut from my loop/snippet/song idea archives off voice recorder, and then get cracking.

I endorse anyone trying this. I just don't expect to have "OK Computer", "Aenima", "The Fragile", "Low", or "Me

• Members
lol Lilie. Imagine the quality of the music of an album made in 28 days! Even Vangelis would suck at it, lol.

AHEM... Let me explain, if you didn't know: Vangelis does music instantly! With his custom equipments he can do recording, performing and arranging at the same time. In other words, doing songs takes as long as playing it! So basically, everything you can hear from Vangelis, specially after 90's, is something that is created by improvisation and recorded only once with no overdubbing!

So Vangelis literally can and makes music everyday (Vangelis said if he would totally stop making music right now, he would already have hundreds of albums as he archives everything), but of course, only fraction of his works ends into offical releases.

So, your phrase is totally incorrect. Vangelis could make an album within one single day and would everything but suck at it... :blah:

Vangelis expert have spoken :cop:

• Members

P.S. You don't have to WRITE all of the music in February, although that is encouraged.

You just have to RECORD it all in February.

I like the idea of writing it and doing it from square one. If I had spare ideas I could use I would but everything is either from past projects or is too complicated to do in a month.

• Members

CT-102, not sure, haven't heard of that one. they made so many though! Have you played it?

You live in NY? haha!

I played it a little. It sounded cheesy. There's only one audio output on the back [looks like a 1/8-inch] and no MIDI ports. It's little bit heavy. There's a little problem with the power jack on the back [you have to hold the adapter's plug by hand in a certain way to make it turn on]. It can easily be fixed I'm sure. And one of the keys has a hole in it:)

I went back to the store just after I uploaded that vid for you on here. It's still there. I took the AC adapter and hid it elsewhere in the store to reduce the chances of the Casio being sold :lol:

Yes, I'm in NY state. So, do you want it?

• Members
. It can easily be fixed I'm sure. And one of the keys has a hole in it:)

I went back to the store just after I uploaded that vid for you on here. It's still there. I took the AC adapter and hid it elsewhere in the store to reduce the chances of the Casio being sold
:lol:

Yes, I'm in NY state. So, do you want it?

heh, thanks! is it just an organ thing? Does it have rhythms? not sure about it

• Members

I'm gonna pass, only bec Ive been spending too much!

$20 though, I passed up an SK-1 for that much. (have an SK-8)

I kinda like a couple of the sounds though, the rest are pretty cheesy. So far as I know, Casio uses the same exact 9v adaptor as some smaller Korgs and Rolands (not the TR-707 though!). Assume the batteries on this one work too!

• Members

working on the tunes, I may switch and do something totally different as its taking too long I think.

Playing bits into Live with the Casio ...enjoying the fuzziness of the Casio sounds though the RCA outs are well noisy... using Live as a multitracker. Lay down one track, change patches, lay down another. Its cool bec it makes me play more.

Also sampled the Casio drums into Ableton Impulse racks and sequencing them kinda-MPC style with an LPD8. Really like working this way. They sound better sampled, like a more aggressive TR-505. Clap is really bad though. But with Impulse I can do all kinds of fun tweaks too...

what If I went the Autobahn route? side 1 is one really long song. and side 2 is parts 1 and 2 of another, or something like that, hehehe

Archived