Engl scream combo, similar tone in a 100W Head?

plecoman

• Members

I recently bought a Screamer Combo and gigged with it last night, it sounded so incrediblely good. We played a lot of heavy songs and I only needed to use the 3rd channel for most of the set. Don't understand why the website calls it "tamed gain" sounding...

Anyways, although this 50w combo is in most cases loud enough for me, I would like to try something a bit louder for different size gigs. I tried te Powerball when I bought the screamer, thinking it would be my amp of choice, but I didn't like the sound. It may be because I was playing thorugh the Engl Standard cab with Celestion V60s? Because I noticed my screamer not sounding good through that cab as well... It sounded like My old Marshall TSL-100, which is not a bad sound, but just not what I was looking for.

Anyone suggest a 100w Head version of the Screamer I can try? I just need a similar or better high gain voicing... Special Edition? Savage? Invader?

• Members

I have a Fireball(60W head) and it's incredible, I've never played a better sounding high gain amp. It is pretty much like a dumbed down Powerball(only two channels), but if you play heavy stuff there's no reason why you wouldn't like it. Maybe you should try out the Powerball again and tweak the EQ a bit more, it took me a few weeks to get good sounds out of it at first, like with any new amp I've had.

But yeah try out the Savage or SE, they have a bit more gain right? And better cleans I hear.

• Members

I disagree with Nacher completely...

I tried the Powerball AND Blackmore. The Powerrball/Fireball donot have less gain than the Screamer at all. If anything, the Screamer may have more. I tested these amps all side by side. Its the gain structure thats different from the Powerball/Fireball. Blackmore is nothing like the Screamer either, it is a much more British voiced tone. It is in fact closer to the Thunder series amps.

I May need to try the FIreball again, maybe it is voiced nicer than the Powerball. Right now I still think the Powerball is way overhyped. It does a good job, but tonewize all other Engls I have tried have sounded better in differetn ways

• Members

Originally posted by plecoman

I disagree with Nacher completely...

I tried the Powerball AND Blackmore. The Powerrball/Fireball donot have less gain than the Screamer at all. If anything, the Screamer may have more. I tested these amps all side by side. Its the gain structure thats different from the Powerball/Fireball. Blackmore is nothing like the Screamer either, it is a much more British voiced tone. It is in fact closer to the Thunder series amps.

I May need to try the FIreball again, maybe it is voiced nicer than the Powerball. Right now I still think the Powerball is way overhyped. It does a good job, but tonewize all other Engls I have tried have sounded better in differetn ways

The Powerball and Fireball use the same amount and type of preamp tubes, the sound isn't vastly different other than that the Fireball is less flexible, and the Powerball can probably nail much more tight grind and it also has a noisegate nowadays.

I have a Fireball but I'm sure the Powerball is a bit better. The Ritchie Blackmore is geared for a different type of player, not so high gain as the other models, and the SE and Savage are quite a bit more expensive than the Powerball so for 1500$ I'd say the Powerball is the best high gain 100W valve head you can buy nowadays, it's no question why its so popular.

• Members

I rarely say stuff like this but......Soeru and Plecoman are both wrong. I have owned the Screamer (twice), Fireball (twice), Powerball, and now the Blackmore. If you think the Screamer has more gain than the Fireball, you need to clean out your ears. And saying the Blackmore isn't geared for high gain is nonsense. Plus I prefer the V60's over evry speaker except the Greenback. Sorry if I sound like an ass.

This is my Blackmore with gain at 2:00

• Members

Originally posted by troublehead

I rarely say stuff like this but......Soeru and Plecoman are both wrong. I have owned the Screamer (twice), Fireball (twice), Powerball, and now the Blackmore. If you think the Screamer has more gain than the Fireball, you need to clean out your ears. And saying the Blackmore isn't geared for high gain is nonsense. Plus I prefer the V60's over evry speaker except the Greenback. Sorry if I sound like an ass.

I actually agree with you on most of this. There is no point arguing about which has more gain because they all pack a whole load of gain, and the Blackmore was incredible when I played through one, and yes it was very high gain. However, I do believe the Gain structure of the Screamer seemed more "modern" than the Powerball I played? Or maybe it was the v60 speakers...

Speakers is obviously all to do with personal taste. I happen to love the Vintage 30 sound alot with the Screamer. I plugged the Screamer into a Marshall 4x12 with G12T-745 and it was a completley different animal.

Thanks for all the other replies. I will give the Powerball another go through a Cab I like.

Archived