Anyone ever heard/played through a Weber Michigan?

trailsofsin

• Members

Well, I only do classic rock and blues rock and jazz rock type stuff, so I cant honestly say I know what "high gain tones" are.

But.....

I have bought and sold and been thru dozens of speakers in the last 18 months, and the Weber Michigan is my all time favorite. It seems to handle everything and anything I play. It is always smooth, consistent, predictable, never edgy, never has ice pick issues, etc.

On the other hand, it is not what I would call a "brute force" speaker either, like the Emi Tonker would be. With 103 sensitivity, the Tonker was punchy and cutting, which is probably why I ended up selling it and keeping the Michigan.

I ended up liking the Michigan so much that I bought two of them. I still do side by side and the Michigan still comes out on top!

• Members

Originally posted by trailsofsin

I'd be going with the ceramic version with a paper dome. So is the SRO similar to the 12L, just lower wattage? I like the idea of this speaker since I want something fairly transparent, articulate yet smooth, and with a prominent, punchy bass.

afaik, EV changed the SRO from a 100W alnico to a 100W ceramic then a 200W ceramic. At some point during the changes the SRO became the 12L. I have an old SRO with the white magnet cover, and two different 12Ls. I think the SRO sounds better than the 12L. Not to say the 12L isn't a great speaker, but the SRO isn't as over-engineered & sounds warmer.

Archived