5751 or 12AT7 for ValveKing...

tlniec

• Members

Hey all,

I have a Peavey ValveKing 112. I like it a lot, but I've noticed that it can get a bit harsh if I set the gain control past 12:00, especially through the non-attenuating input.

Has anyone here experimented with alternative preamp tubes to try and 'tame the beast' and smooth things out a bit? I was thinking about using a 5751 or a 12AT7 to replace one of the 12AX7s (I'm leaning toward a 5751, since 12AT7s seem to be tailored more for use as PIs or Reverb drivers, not preamps).

Wondering which tube I should replace (V1 or V2?), and what particular brand of tube you would recommend.

Thanks!

• Members

Or try a new speaker. the peavey valveking speakers suck.

A guy that lives down the street from me has one of the 1X12 VK combos and I put an avatar speakers hellatone 60 in it and a pair of SED winged C 6L6's and JJ's ECC83s preamp tubes and it was like an entirely different amp.

A lower gain preamp tube though may help bring out more clarity in the gain at the expense of some of the gain if you can live with that.

I put a GE 5751 and mullard 12AT7 along with 3 other JJ's 12AX7's in my carvin valvemaster combo and the clarity of the overdrive went through the roof. I did lose a little gain but it still has plenty enough for me and a clean boost more than makes up for any loss.

• Members

Yeah, I run though a separate 2x12 cabinet, so the stock VK speaker isn't an issue for me (good suggestion, though).

More clarity with less overall gain is just what I want to accomplish. I'm hoping that now the entire range of the gain control (or at least more of it) will be useful to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for the replies, folks. I ended up going with JerryP's suggestion, and am very happy with the results. I can still get plenty of gain (even without engaging the gain boost), but I can control it much better. Plus it's fun to crank the MV up and rock out. :)

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

Try the 12AT7 in the PI and a 12AU7 or 12DW7 in the second preamp spot.

Jerry

does it work for a rockmaster?

i need to cut a lot of highs to tame the harshness, so it gets nasally and too much bassy

http://www.mydatabus.com/6z/tznvy.pbz/ericsabbath/Eric_25_11_2006_18_59_24.wav

(i used a crappy brazilian 15w wattsom cube, the worst amp ever)

Archived