Hammond C2 restoration photos

mcmurray

• Members

Nice new case, and the stand is cool too. Not retaining the add-on percussion, or was it inoperative? Looked like an Edwards from where I sit. I can heartily recommend the Trek II TP-2B percussion unit, they sound fantastic.

Interesting Leslie...how does it sound with a guitar head?

TP

• Members

It's not mine, I'm not sure if the Peavey head is used for amplification, but if it is I think the pre-amp would bypassed. Not sure about the add-on percussion either, sorry.

Fortunately it's owned by someone who does it justice - Mr Travis Dickerson.

It can be heard in this track;

[video=youtube;LXc8ArLvydQ]

If I can find more I'll post them.

• Members

Those pics show very accurate cuts and lovely joinery. Joints are very important!!

Really a professional looking job carried to completion.

I was wondering about the obvious Canadian connection??

IMG_0683.JPG

I have an old 'Guess Who' album someplace, with all of their autographs.

Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, other two. And Domenic T., hey, wow he's been around too.

Good stuff there. Great memories here too. Funny how They get triggered.

Chas

• Members

edit: just got word that the Peavey head is in fact the amplifier for the Leslie.

That's not unheard of. Emerson sometimes drove his Leslies with Marshall heads. Our own Mr. S&TG does something along those lines, possibly with a Peavey also. Using the stock drivers is unwise...

That's a nice chop, btw.

• Members

That's not unheard of. Emerson sometimes drove his Leslies with Marshall heads. Our own Mr. S&TG does something along those lines, possibly with a Peavey also. Using the stock drivers is unwise...

Is the preamp usually bypassed in these situations? The 5150 preamp puts out some pretty gnarly distortion, not sure if it would be suitable for an organ.

• Members

The organ was previously owned by Guess Who. Travis found those pickups inside it when it was pulled apart
:)

I'm sure you meant to say guitar picks. What a cool find.

I bet there are delicious stories for both of them.

Please try to contact Burton Cummings.

Say hi, & remember Ruby's Son, from Edmonton, AB.

He will remember us... & the Riviera Hotel.

My, what pigs those young fellows were in their hotel rooms. Messy really, non pork.

Chas

• Members

Is the preamp usually bypassed in these situations? The 5150 preamp puts out some pretty gnarly distortion, not sure if it would be suitable for an organ.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea. S&TG or one of the other resident HamLes gurus would know... Myself, I'd just try it all ways till it sounded good. The right amount of distortion is subjective, eh? But it's not hard to blow the stock drivers; the V21 horn driver especially.

Here's an interesting site about Emerson's touring rigs. And I was mistaken; he didn't drive his Leslies with Marshall, but Hiwatt. But I think they're very similar.

• Members

the C2's preamp would never be bypassed, because it's necessary just to get sound out of the organ properly.

you also have to pad the signal down ... way down ... just to keep it from distorting anything you plug it into.

I was referring to bypassing the preamp in the guitar amplifier, not the organ.

• Members

I was referring to bypassing the preamp in the guitar amplifier, not the organ.

That's what I understood you to mean, since C Hammonds have only preamps. But again, if it were me, I'd try it with and without the pre bypassed. I'm guessing it will sound better with the preamp in the chain, just because you'll have all the EQ controls, and you may sometimes want distortion (Jon Lord).

But heed Mr. Suit's advice: pad the input. The organ signal is hotter than normal line levels, and way more than guitar.

• Members

All I can tell you is that two preamps in the chain often chokes the tone right out of it. I was recording tracks a couple of years ago with my brand new just-delivered Speakeasy AMA. That has the Speakeasy preamp (modelled on a Hammond preamp) plus a 10 watt leslie amp in it. It sounded terrible until I modded it to bypass the preamp in the AMA and just drive the leslie power amp directly from the hammond preamp. Then the magic tone was there!

Archived