The *Line 6 PodXT Live* & *Tech 21 Power Engine 60* Club

Vanny

• Members

line-6-podxt-live.jpg

&

tech21%20-%20power-engine-60.jpg

I got a Line 6 PodXT Live and a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 and I currently like it! Who's rig is currently like this as well?

What I really like about it so far is that it's light in weight, which makes it convenient for rehearsals and gigs. Besides that, of course, there's the versatility of having a bunch of amp models and effects just a 'stomp' away. The volume pedal is pretty useful, but I am still trying to get the wah to sound better. The delay is probably one of my favourite features so far. Very nice, 'digital' delay as it can get spacey and futuristic. Changing delay time is also pretty cool.

Amp models aren't bad, just as long as you're not A/Bing it with your Mesa Mark IIC+ or your Vox AC-30 or another real tube amp. They probably won't sound like it live, but that doesn't necessarily mean it sounds like crap. Give your Pod a bit of its own character. There's so many features here for you to shape the sounds you want.

Let's not generalize everything, such as how digital stuff is crap or SS has nothing on tubes. Sometimes a tube amp does feel different, but if you enter the guitar shop with an open mind and try out everything, you'd be surprised what kind of tones are in SS/modeling amps. I have owned a tube amp and also own a SS amp.

Anyways, there's still a lot of stuff for me to try out and I have no idea how long that'll take for me to get through everything. I'm not too fond of the factory presets, so tweaking is needed. Just remember you need patience with this kind of stuff.

So here we go! Got some new ideas? Got some new patches you want to share? Link it!

And have fun!

• Members

Hey vanny,

You have a great little digital modeling setup with powered satellite speaker. Have you considered running the POD XT into the Atomic Amps 112-50? It's basically a tube powered satellite speaker which uses the POD XT as its preamp/effects. It warms up your digital modeling preamp setup.

I had a somewhat similiar like yours. I was running a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman preamp pedal & various effect pedals into a Tech 21 Power Engine 60. I wanted a more warmer sound, sold the PE60 to a Canadian buyer and bought a Mesa Boogie Simul-Satellite combo amp.

Guitar George

• Members

I have the XT live and a POD XT that I use thru The PE 60. I really like it for home use. The speaker can be a little directional. I comes right at you instead of around you. It feels better sometimes if I face it a bit away from me. A few pointers- leave the cab sim on but turn down the mic room % to 0. I have some nice patches but I do not know how to link them. Go to custom tone and look under my aouthor name wich is djlynch. Most of them are for headphone use but if you turn the chorus off and delay and verb down they sound great with the PE60. I just recently added a Boss sd-1 before the XT and it is great. I can't seem to turn it off. It gives it more "feel". I wanna try some other boosts/od's any ideas?

• Members

Originally posted by Hamer95USA

Hey vanny,

You have a great little digital modeling setup with powered satellite speaker. Have you considered running the POD XT into the Atomic Amps 112-50? It's basically a tube powered satellite speaker which uses the POD XT as its preamp/effects. It warms up your digital modeling preamp setup.

I had a somewhat similiar like yours. I was running a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman preamp pedal & various effect pedals into a Tech 21 Power Engine 60. I wanted a more warmer sound, sold the PE60 to a Canadian buyer and bought a Mesa Boogie Simul-Satellite combo amp.

Guitar George

Yes, I heard of the Atomic 112. I think it's designed for the PodXT Live, but for now, I think I'll keep my tube-free set-up. There's still a lot of stuff to tweak and try out and it wouldn't be fair to quickly change setups again. I'll keep that in mind for my next set-up though. I'm thinking of using my PodXT Live for gigs at least for one year, then I'll see what happens. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Fuzzboy

I have the XT live and a POD XT that I use thru The PE 60. I really like it for home use. The speaker can be a little directional. I comes right at you instead of around you. It feels better sometimes if I face it a bit away from me. A few pointers- leave the cab sim on but turn down the mic room % to 0. I have some nice patches but I do not know how to link them. Go to custom tone and look under my aouthor name wich is djlynch. Most of them are for headphone use but if you turn the chorus off and delay and verb down they sound great with the PE60. I just recently added a Boss sd-1 before the XT and it is great. I can't seem to turn it off. It gives it more "feel". I wanna try some other boosts/od's any ideas?

Before I had the PodXT Live, I thought about going with pedals. But I didn't think I would want 10 pedals. Sometimes when one pedal is causing some noise or trouble, you have to see where it is coming from. For example, my previous Boss GE7 was noisy and experienced volume drops so I refunded it. That's why I like limiting the number of pedals in front of me.

That said, I haven't tried putting boost pedals in front of the Pod, but the Bad Monkey seems to be pretty famous on these forums, so you might want to give that a shot.

• Members

Originally posted by Vanny

Cool set-up!

Is the Peavey on top some sort of Equalizer?

Yes, it's a 31 band rack EQ which works wonders with my Power Engine 60. Some people might say that using a 31 band EQ in a guitar system is overkill, but it suits me fine. It is a very powerful tone shaping tool and it takes my vintage voiced TRI-A.C. one step further, into a more mid-scooped, modern territory.

• Members

Originally posted by Fuzzboy

I found that alot of the amp sims for distortion seem really flabby in the low end unless I add a stomp box to it. Discovered this with my original POD years ago and ended up adding a boss OD in front. It was the light yellow one. Just tightened up the low end nicely. Now that I have the XT live I will typically just always set the patch up with one of the modeled stomp boxes(typically the tube screamer). I wish they had a model of that boss, the tube screamer tends to make it a little too uniform.

• Members

DSCF0735C.jpg

I'm using a Trademark 60 to power the Power Engine 60. I use a Digitech 2120 effects processor (on top) wired in stereo between the TM60 & the PE60. The sound is HUGE!. I can also use the 2120 by itself through the PE60 or I sometimes use my Sansamp Classic pedal in the PE60. The PE60 is so handy, so versatile, there are still combinations I haven't tried. Cool stuff from Tech21:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Acid Test

I had this exact set up at one time. To me the Tech 21 lacked any low end and didn't get loud enough.

You had the TM60 & PE60 and they weren't loud enough?????

You must be playing VERY LOUD!

These two together move some serious air. I use the EQ on the Power Engine 60 and tune in a little more bass than the TM60. With these 2 together, this rig is loud and full!

Or I'll turn everything down and it still sounds full.

If your use to really playing loud, get the Power Engine 60 to go along with the TM60. The 2 work very well together. Otherwise (IMO) the TM 60 is plenty loud on stage.

• Members

Hey, Axel,

How noisy is your set-up? Do you run other pedals in front of the TM60? I ask you this because I plan to add another Power Engine to my set-up (see pics above), but I am a bit afraid of an increase in noise level, since I already have a healthy amount of it with only one PE60...

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by danut

How noisy is your set-up? Do you run other pedals in front of the TM60? I ask you this because I plan to add another Power Engine to my set-up (see pics above), but I am a bit afraid of an increase in noise level, since I already have a healthy amount of it with only one PE60...

Thanks!

Danut,

I can't say I have any noise to speak of. All amps have a certain amount of "white noise". I have never been aware of any anoying amount of noise from my rig (TM60 & PE60).

I really don't use any pedals. I have collected loads of them over the years and use them once in a while when I'm home playing very low. My main OD pedal these days is a Tech21 Doubledrive which is pretty quiet.

Even If I use the Digitech 2120 straight into the PE60 there isn't any noticable noise level.

If your pushing the high bands on your EQ that would increase the "white noise" level. If you turn the PE60 on without the EQ and it's quiet, then I would guess the source of your noise is the EQ. Even my Boss GE-7 is noisly.

On a side note, try moving the EQ off the top of the PE60. I read somewhere that Tech21 doesn't recommend running the TM60 on top of the PE60 like I have in my pic. Something about the reveb in the TM60 causing noise. I actually run them side by side, I like the way they look stacked though. Give it a try and see if it's any quieter.

• Members

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, the noise sources in my system are, first of all, the TRI-A.C. and then the pedals placed in front of it (CS-2, Fat-Boost and KTS-9, each adding up a little bit), all being powered by a non-isolated otputs PS. I will have to buy either a Boss NS-2 or a ISP Decimator, to take care of that.

The EQ is adding only a negligible amount of hiss.

I am going to get one more PW60, but I have a fear that the noise level will go up...

BTW, when you're on stage, how do you like the amps more: stacked or side-by-side? Isn't stacking them making the bottom speaker project the sound past your ankles?

• Members

Danut,

I didn't realize you were using all those pedals. Yep, that's where your noise is coming from. That's one reason I switched to rack processors years ago. For every pedal I added, I lost tone and gained noise. I had to add EQ, compression, boost and a nosie gate to make up for the pedals. I switched to rack processors about 15 years ago and will never go back.

I prefer to use the 2 cabs side by side. I get better stereo effect that way. I have always prefered my amps on the ground rather than on a chair or stand. I get more bottom out of them on the floor. I'll stack the TM60 only if it's a small stage and space is limited.

Archived