Tube head and cab impedance mismatch

mozzer

• Members

Hi

My son has a new Peavey 6505 Plus tube head and a Marshall 1960 cabinet (not, confusingly enough, the very expensive 1960, but expensive enough).

He has decided that he likes the tone he gets with the cabinet set on 4 Ohms and the amp set on 16 Ohms. I seem to recall Clapton doing something like this with his Greenback boxes for a different breakup.

I don't think he will do any physical damage by doing this, but I wonder if he'll be buying new power tubes every 3 months because of it?

Thanks

Phil

• Members

Yeah, that's hell on the output transformer. To use a common analogy, it's like attaching a garden hose to a firehose. Eventually, whatever's pumping out the "water" is going to go...

...now, you can get away with dumping a 16 ohm load into a 4 or 8 ohm cab--it just won't be as efficient (not as loud). That's probably what Clapton was doing...

• Members

Originally posted by The*Ataris

Yeah, that's hell on the output transformer. To use a common analogy, it's like attaching a garden hose to a firehose. Eventually, whatever's pumping out the "water" is going to go...

...now, you can get away with dumping a 16 ohm load into a 4 or 8 ohm cab--it just won't be as efficient (not as loud). That's probably what Clapton was doing...

This is not necessarily true about the volume, in fact I'm pretty sure it's wrong. It's also not true that this will be a safe mismatch. All amps/trannies are different.... I wouldn't make a blanket statement recommending this. The only safe thing to do, IMO, is properly match the load to the amp -- I really don't understand why anyone would take such a large chance for such a minimal tone change.

• Members

Originally posted by SuperStrat

This is not necessarily true about the volume, in fact I'm pretty sure it's wrong. It's also not true that this will be a safe mismatch. All amps/trannies are different.... I wouldn't make a blanket statement recommending this. The only safe thing to do, IMO, is properly match the load to the amp -- I really don't understand why anyone would take such a large chance for such a minimal tone change.

Well, I did make sure to say "get away with"...I'm pretty sure I'd never attempt it myself.

My Drake transformer in my Marshall means too much to me...

Archived