Fatar Studio 900 - need help setting up

NeoKate

• Members

Hi - I recently started taking piano lessons and quickly discovered that the keyboard I have is not going to work (non-weighted keys and only 76 of them).

Last week, I found a Fatar Studio 900 at an auction and ended up winning it. Now, I need to figure out what I need to actually get it hooked up and running.

I have a laptop that I am thinking of using but it's 6 years old. Will I be able to use it and, if so, what do I need to buy?

If I can't use my laptop, what are my other options? I have an amplifier that was part of a stereo system that I no longer use - will this work?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kate

• Members

Buy any midi module you can find at a pawn shop.

Buy two midi cables.

Buy a cheap sustain pedal; remember, it is an on/off switch, not a damper.

As you get used to your rig, you can upgrade as necessary. I think headphones would be the best way to go at first.

If you become serious and want to gig, get an amp with at least a 12" speaker AND a horn.

Try tweakheadz.com to get help in setting up.

Richard

• Members

I went to the tweakheadz site - sad to say I don't understand what I need to do. So, I have a few more questions. Can I buy any midi module or does it have to be specific for the fatar? With this module and the cables, will I then just plug in headphones and be ready to play?

• Members

You can download the module here:

http://www.fatar.com/Studiologic/Pages/assistance.htm

Looking at the manual, the Studio 900 has two midi output jacks, and supports a sustain pedal.

When you play the keys or use the pitch bend wheel or mod wheel, you are generating midi data (think electronic sheet music notes) that is sent out the midi output ports. Therefore to actually make sound you have two basic choices (1) connect the keyboard to a standalone sound module that has a midi in port or (2) use your computer running some type of software to generate sound.

What type of sounds do you want to create and what is your budget?

• Members

Thanks for the link for the module download, Martin. Basically, the only type of sound I want to create at this point is basic acoustic piano. Is that possible with this unit? As for budget, I can spend a few hundred $$ if need be. I am only a beginner so it will be awhile before I even think about doing anything beyond basic piano sounds. I think I got a good deal on the Fatar (and it included the flight case) so if it ends up not working for me, I'll just sell it. I can always pick up an inexpensive acoustic piano.

Archived