Mesa MKIV.../...VHT Pitbull UL

tlp123

• Members

I have both and love both... Different beasts all together.
The only similarities I find is that you can dial in a UL to sound like a Mark 4, but you can't dial in a Mark 4 to sound like a UL.
The Mark is more saturated and liquid sounding and much easier to play. It has a different kind of crunch all together...more squish....
The UL is very accurate and tight. It has just as much gain, but not as much perceived saturation. If you make a mistake on a UL, it will come through the amp. If you make a mistake on the Mark, you will barely notice it....
The amps both have their strong points, and I would never be without either.
Steve

• Members

Originally posted by SteveVHT

The only similarities I find is that you can dial in a UL to sound like a Mark 4, but you can't dial in a Mark 4 to sound like a UL.

The Mark is more saturated and liquid sounding and much easier to play. It has a different kind of crunch all together...more squish....

The UL is very accurate and tight. It has just as much gain, but not as much perceived saturation. If you make a mistake on a UL, it will come through the amp. If you make a mistake on the Mark, you will barely notice it....

Steve

Hmm...........thanks! How does the response compare to the SLO-100? Does the VHT respond quicker than the SLO?

• Members
Originally posted by tlp123

Hmm...........thanks! How does the response compare to the SLO-100? Does the VHT respond quicker than the SLO?

Yes, it responds MUCH quicker! Completely different amps. The UL is the quickest amp I've ever owned/played. Over time, I realized it was a little too quick for me.

• Members
Originally posted by SteveVHT

Steve

I mostly agree with Steve. But when I had them both, I could get the Mark IV to sound VERY close to the UL with some tweaking. But you still can't get the same type of lowend and the IV will allways have a slower response. Looking back at both amps now, I have to say I prefere the Mark IV mainly because it's just more enjoyable to play IMO.

Archived