Eurotubes

jworkman

• Members

I bought a matched set of power tubes for my Peavey Valveking a while back, and I ordered them for early breakup. I expected them to break up early, but I didn't know how early. This thing breaks up on the clean channel with the volume set at about 12 oclock! I had no idea! I've actually thought about getting a set graded for max headroom just so that I can get more volume out of the amp if I need it. It breaks up really nicely, too. I can't wait to really push it sometime (when I'm not in my apartment :cry: )

• Members

I 'spose it's all in what you're looking for ...
I gave up two of the EH preamp tubes in my amp because I wasn't satisfied with the sound of them. Now I have 1 Baldwin, 1 EH, and 1 JJ. I love it. Bob's done a lot of deals with a lot of people, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain.

• Members

Originally posted by jworkman

... Bob's done a lot of deals with a lot of people, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain.

Lots of people complain, you must read only what you want. Not only about his tubes, but he blew up tons of XXXs and made a ton of people unhappy.

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

Lots of people complain, you must read only what you want. Not only about his tubes, but he blew up tons of XXXs and made a ton of people unhappy.

I should mention that part of that issue had to do with peavey using cheapo parts(screen grid resistors or something like that). But yes, he does get alot of complaints. But he has never done me wrong, so I'll go knock on wood now.

• Members

Originally posted by Wolfeman28

I should mention that part of that issue had to do with peavey using cheapo parts(screen grid resistors or something like that). But yes, he does get alot of complaints.

Um no, Peavey used the standard parts and values for 6L6 and EL34 tubes, that's what the amp was designed for, and that's what the manual says it'd take, not the E34L that Bob kept selling people even after he knew it was a problem.

I wonder how many of the blown amps he paid to have repaired?

• Members

last time i ordered from eurotubes, 3 of the 4 ECC83's went severly microphonic (not even good enough for a PI position) and didn't rate well for gain. and so it happens, this occured about 3 months after i got them. (with intermittent useage) i dont think he checks his tubes very well. he is a nice guy and is quick to respond to emails, but i doubt i i'll order through him again.

if you want power tubes with less breakup, you might wanna check out some other vendors who IMO check their tubes better.

• Members

I just think it's kind of funny about the whole Peavey problem. If you asked the guys over there who to buy tubes from, you would get an overwhelming "Bob at Eurotubes." The techs at Peavey frequent their forum, too, so if the problem actually was on Bob's part, don't you think that the techs would step in and say something? I don't know, I've made several purchases from Bob and always been pleased, not particularly with the customer service, but with the product. Seriously though, who would you guys recommend for tubes?

• Members
Originally posted by psychodave

I really dislike JJ tubes.

..believe it or not, I actually like their E34L's in my Mark III.

:freak:

bukkake.gif

Hey Dave, is yours a Simulclass where ya have them is the outer sockets? I have liked the E34Ls as well... a lot of power and CLEAN! :D

Do you have 6L6s in the inner socks?

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

Um no, Peavey used the standard parts and values for 6L6 and EL34 tubes, that's what the amp was designed for, and that's what the manual says it'd take, not the E34L that Bob kept selling people even after he knew it was a problem.

I wonder how many of the blown amps he paid to have repaired?

Well if it's a standard part, how come the E34L's didn't have a problem in the 5150 series? Fact is the parts were cheap, and if you replace them in the XXX with the same ones from the 5150, the problem is non-existant. And it's also funny that after that issue arose, peavey started changing the screen grid resistors on the XXX on the newer models.... And go figure, alot of the XXX users who had thier amps fried still go to Bob for tubes.... It wasn't his fault...

But whatever, Merry Christmas!

• Members
Originally posted by Wolfeman28

Well if it's a standard part, how come the E34L's didn't have a problem in the 5150 series? Fact is the parts were cheap, and if you replace them in the XXX with the same ones from the 5150, the problem is non-existant. And it's also funny that after that issue arose, peavey started changing the screen grid resistors on the XXX on the newer models.... And go figure, alot of the XXX users who had thier amps fried still go to Bob for tubes.... It wasn't his fault...

But whatever, Merry Christmas!

The XXX wasn't designed for E34L tubes, Bob told people they could use them, it's not Peaveys fault in any way. On the Peavey forum the rep said "Do Not Use E34L in the XXX, it's not designed to use them." Bob said sure you can, and he blew up amps, then blamed Peavey.
Peavey used the correct value part right out of the tube manual, and it had nothing to do with cheap. Peavey changed to a different value resistor because of all the people trying to get their amps fixed under warranty that Bob blew up. Peavey helped a lot of people out after Bob blew up their amps, Bob did nothing. :rolleyes:
And as far as I remember, you have to change the grid resistors in the 5150 to even run EL34s, let alone E34L.

• Members

Bob was good to deal with as he emailed me twice with answers to questions.
I bought some tubes from him two years ago for my Traynor YCV20. I got the Blues set which he advertizes. They sounded great up until now.

I now have increased hum & volume drop off. The J & J Tubes are done.

Not sure if I will get J & J's again.

I may go to EH or something else this time.
First I`ll put the originals back in and see what they sound like again as they are still good.
:p

Archived