I left my amp on for 2 weeks, woops...

voneville

• Members

One night after a few drinks I decided to go jam a bit in the garage. I guess when I closed up shop I neglected to turn the amp off, and didn't notice for a couple weeks. I've been pretty busy. Amp still works fine and sounds fine. How bad is it for your amp to be left on? I think vacuum tubes were originally designed to be energized for extended periods of time, so I can't imagine it would wear out the tubes that much quicker, espeically if there's no signal going to them. I would think being energized and de-energized repeadetly would be worse. I don't plan on making a habit out of this, but I was just curious if this is bad mojo or not...

• Members
Originally posted by grayeyes777

definitely bad if standby wasn't on... my amp tech and i just had this conversation. things can melt and get "wierd" as he put it.

if the volume was not even really high, I wouldn't think it's bad at all..I mean, amps are supposed to be working like this..

at worse, it would put wear on the tubes. Unless the amp is really prone to heavy heat with no vents and whatnot then there could be a small risk..

I'm no tech, but somebody already posted a thread similar to this one a while ago.

Experts will chime in :thu:

• Members

purely class A amp it might cause a problem. With no signal on a class a/b it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I actually just went to my lock out the other day and I'd left my amp on for about 4 days. Picked up my guitar and started playing... sounded great.

• Members
Originally posted by sekler

if the volume was not even really high, I wouldn't think it's bad at all..I mean, amps are supposed to be working like this..

at worse, it would put wear on the tubes. Unless the amp is really prone to heavy heat with no vents and whatnot then there could be a small risk..

I'm no tech, but somebody already posted a thread similar to this one a while ago.

Experts will chime in
:thu:

i'm definitely not an expert... the worst when it comes to electronics... i don't even know how to solder. tech said that he saw caps and transistors melt while not on standby. i'm sure that it's worse for some amps.

Archived