Crumar Stratus - Would like feedback and worth

• Members

I am a guitar player for like almost 20 years. I did a search for this organ/synth because I see one for sale in Europe. (I am American but living here etc).

There isn't a whole lot of info on these and I seen 2 guys on youtube, one guy demo'd it and another did several demos for experiments. I know very little about the market. I know a few top names, but other than that the guy is asking 600 Euros for it. I seen one site "value" it at $500 with some info on it.

Is this way too high? I don't care about midi or anything digital either. The analog turns me on more and I'm a huge Floyd fan. He says everything works and to come look at it, only some knobs turn more easier than others he says. I want to do analog tricks in the darkness of Floyd type sounds as on Dark Side or Welcome to the Machine etc etc... doesn't have to be perfect, just fun. I like to turn knobs and experiment.

Thanks for any input or other recommendation for the 500 to 1000 euro/dollar price range.

S

• Members

That's very expensive. The current conversion of $600 Euros would be about $870 US.

The Stratus is six-voice, analog polyphonic synth, but has no patch memory, (you can't save your edits) and only 4 octaves. Keep in mind this keyboard is about 30 years old and parts would be difficult if not impossible to find. I'd spend some time in a few pro music stores to see what else is available before buying this keyboard.

Check out used Dave Smith Instruments or Moog Gear if you have to have an analog synth, otherwise I'd recommend a Waldorf Blofeld or Korg Radias.

crustrat02.jpg

• Members

I'd love to find a Stratus or a Trilogy. I believe they're the same synth for different continents. That one sounds too expensive. There's a site where you can download the old flex-disc demonstration record. It sounds awesome. I love Crumar stuff. Cheap and crappy knock-offs of more expensive gear, but at the right price, they're a total blast. If I was in the market for one, I'd pay about half of what the guy is charging. I'd bit for somwhere around $400 US, and it would have to be local. I'd do that all day long provided it worked corrently and was complete. Italian synths are not very valuable. But they're fun when they work.

Edit: I just looked up the Trilogy and it's a little better and has presets. I think they sound the same tho.

• Members

thanks... and yea the Stratus is more like a little brother to Trilogy.

And about that euro/dollar conversion. I know.... That is why I offered 350 euros. He didn't budge at all and said its rare etc etc and won't take anything under 600 euros.

Check out used Dave Smith Instruments or Moog Gear if you have to have an analog synth, otherwise I'd recommend a Waldorf Blofeld or Korg Radias.

yea I know about moog more than others. I have owned several moogerfooger's for the guitar. Sorry I sound like a noob and I am .... is why I said "Floyd type sounds'. Any help on models to look for is appreciated. You said Dave Smith and Moog. Ppreferable used range so I can trade and get something good for the price range I said. I also want to be able to play chords

:thu:

• Members

You said Dave Smith and Moog. Ppreferable used range so I can trade and get something good for the price range I said. I also want to be able to play chords

Anything in your price range from Moog or Dave Smith Instruments would likely be monophonic (can't play chords), so I'll stand by the two keyboards I mentioned earlier (Blofeld & Radias) and add the Alesis Ion to the list. It does a great job emulating various analog synths of the past. It has a "little brother" as well--the Micron--but the Ion offers more knobs to tweak and has more keys. Here's a picture:

ion.jpg

• Members

"Floyd type sounds'. Preferable used range so I can trade and get something good for the price range I said. I also want to be able to play chords

:thu:

The Crumar Orchestrator is total floyd. Think "Shine On..." The keyboard can be split in half with string below and brass on top. You can do the strings and the lead and it sounds awesome. It uses the ARP string circuit as well as the Moog ladder filter for the brass. Also has some cheesy RMI style piano/harsichord. All 3 sections have their own output and expression pedals. Not many people know about them and they're usually pretty cheap. Mine cost me about $200. It's firmly locked in that '74-78 sound. It's not a wild synth though. For the more Dark Side of the Moon stuff you'll need a monophonic synth. A used Little Phatty would do the trick. A simple step sequencer is always a bonus as well.

There's a demo record of the Orchestrator on youtube. It's really cheesy but the sounds kill.

• Members

That's very expensive. The current conversion of $600 Euros would be about $870 US.

The Stratus is six-voice, analog polyphonic synth, but has no patch memory, (you can't save your edits) and only 4 octaves. Keep in mind this keyboard is about 30 years old and parts would be difficult if not impossible to find. I'd spend some time in a few pro music stores to see what else is available before buying this keyboard.

crustrat02.jpg

The Stratus's polyphony is actually only limited by the number of keys. It has a synth and an organ section. It is the same as the Trilogy minus the string section.

It's a pretty cool synth but rather bulky and heavy so not practical for gigging. $500 is what I paid; you can find them for a bit more or a bit less.

• Members

The Stratus's polyphony is actually only limited by the number of keys.

Not according to Vintage Synth Explorer:

Introduced in 1982, the Stratus is a somewhat rare, slimmed-down version of the Crumar Trilogy. It is basically two synths in one: a Synthesizer and an Organ synth, which can be played separately or both at the same time. There are independent master volume knobs for the Synthesizer and Organ sections. The Organ section features four horizontal drawbars to adjust the volumes of each of the 4 octaves (2', 4', 8' and 16').:

The Synthesizer is a two oscillator, 6-note polyphonic analog that uses the highly popular CEM chips that have also been used in other popular synths of the time including Jupiters, OB-X synths, Prophets

• Members

Conbrio.. thanks man. Gonna keep my mind open for a bit and check out the market. but I really think I am going to stay away from analog modeling. I checked out the Radias on a couple vids and its extremely impressive and the hands on layout is really nice. but I'll always have that itch up my spine that I feel even listening on youtube..... The analog synths give me goosebumps and nausea

I like the mopho .. think it sounds sweet. I was then pleased when I seen a video with the tetra. So I thought ok problem solved...(more voices) then seen the price tag. :o Then that made me want the Prophet08 ..... :/ or Evolver.

The Crumar Orchestrator is total floyd. Think "Shine On..." The keyboard can be split in half with string below and brass on top. You can do the strings and the lead and it sounds awesome. It uses the ARP string circuit as well as the Moog ladder filter for the brass. Also has some cheesy RMI style piano/harsichord. All 3 sections have their own output and expression pedals. Not many people know about them and they're usually pretty cheap. Mine cost me about $200. It's firmly locked in that '74-78 sound. It's not a wild synth though. For the more Dark Side of the Moon stuff you'll need a monophonic synth. A used Little Phatty would do the trick. A simple step sequencer is always a bonus as well.

There's a demo record of the Orchestrator on youtube. It's really cheesy but the sounds kill.

Violins and Chello's sound nice. and yea oh yea nice swells ;) PF fo sho'

Little Phatty Stage II is nice .... and seen a Demo with that 'On the Run' thang going on.

so yea I mostly interested on having a good system for monophonic sounds and then something simple for Organ type Chords is fine for me or something like those Violins and Chellos on the Crumar Orchestrator. So looking at Little Phatty or Dave Smith morph and then an Orchestrator for chords and added fun. Perhaps evolver/prophet08 can solve all problems :confused::confused:

I think I am raising my budget a little. One issue is I have some US Cash but live in Greece. Everything so expensive here and to ship expensive stuff = custom fist. And exchange rate now :cry:. I bought a macbook pro recently from Amazon.com, had free shipping to my friends house in the states, had my friend 3 day ship to me in Greece, Customs held it for 2 weeks because he didn't put invoice in it. Then I paid almost 400 euros for customs fee's and tax. When all said and done... I STILL got the macbook for about $200 less than I would buying from here or from Amazon uk. :facepalm: STuff is expensive here. My issue is I'm broke in Euros.

Archived