Another tube question.

JnBroadbent

• Members

Please excuse my ignorance but I've always been a EL34 kind of guy so I'm not too sure on any other tubes.

Now I've had a 5150 which have 6L6 but what's the difference with those and the 6L6GC?

What about 6550's? How do they sound? Can an amp that uses 6550 also use KT88s?

• Members

Please excuse my ignorance but I've always been a EL34 kind of guy so I'm not too sure on any other tubes.

Now I've had a 5150 which have 6L6 but what's the difference with those and the 6L6GC?

What about 6550's? How do they sound? Can an amp that uses 6550 also use KT88s?

It has to do with the maximum plate voltage, I believe. The GC is the later (and beefier) revision of the original design. Most tubes now are 6L6GC, but many people refer to all 6L6 variants simply as '6L6.'

Kt88/6550 should work in that amp, but you may want to check to see if any adjustments need to be made to the operating plate voltages when switching.

• Members
It has to do with the maximum plate voltage, I believe. The GC is the later (and beefier) revision of the original design. Most tubes now are 6L6GC, but many people refer to all 6L6 variants simply as '6L6.'

Kt88/6550 should work in that amp, but you may want to check to see if any adjustments need to be made to the operating plate voltages when switching.

:thu:

Thanks!

And in any amp, if you pull the two inside power tubes it will cut the wattage in half? (this of course if it has 4 power tubes)

Archived