Who here has a Juno Di?

DV8R

• Members

Well... but he wants to be proud of his own work.

I think that in its price range, nothing really beats the Juno Di, except maybe a used Yamaha MO6.

Question to the OP: are synth weighted keys not going to be a problem for you when you try to play piano sounds?

• Members

Question to the OP: are synth weighted keys not going to be a problem for you when you try to play piano sounds?

I'm not experienced on piano or synth. This is my first synth so it will be one big learning adventure. I've tinkered with a piano (hardly) so I know what the keys feel like, but not enough for synth keys to bother me. :)

• Members

I'm not experienced on piano or synth. This is my first synth so it will be one big learning adventure. I've tinkered with a piano (hardly)

So you don't have any real keyboard experience? I hope you're planning on getting some lessons first.

:facepalm:

• Members

I will say this--90% of most audiences can't tell the difference between a $99 Casio and a Steinway, so I wouldn't sweat it.

:D

LOL! Yeah, but even so, I don't want it to be a big crapfest of cheap sounding instruments so that I can't stand it myself. Which is also why I am upgrading my humble Ibanez guitar with some nice pickups. :D

• Members

So you don't have any real keyboard experience? I hope you're planning on getting some lessons first.

:facepalm:

I'm planning ahead, I want the Juno for home and later on down the road for gigging or whatever so becomes of it. I'll learn, but probably at home. I do better with hands on fun/tinkering, books, dvds and such than with an actual teacher. All my guitar learning has been at home.

• Members

My opinion should be fairly valuable because I own a Juno di (almost three years now) and have been playing it as a main board in many situations; from jazz ensembles to jam sessions to pit orchestras to rock bands. The piano sounds are moderately decent; when I first got it, as a fairly new and still learning keyboardist, I was VERY impressed with its sounds; not just pianos, but organs and synths and strings, etc. As i continue growing as musician, this board is becoming less and less inspiring to me; very limited synth controlling, limited and corny organ sounds, TERRIBLE action. . . It is a good keyboard for a beginner at that price. For playing piano: sounds are good, action and range is TERRIBLE. cant stand to play piano on it. Id rather play my yamaha clavinova console piano from the 90s. Im thinking about buying a Kurzweil sp4-7 or 8 very soon.

• Members

Im thinking about buying a Kurzweil sp4-7 or 8 very soon.

That is what I honestly want to get too. If I can get approved for the 5 month plan I might go for it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Members

I will say this--90% of most audiences can't tell the difference between a $99 Casio and a Steinway, so I wouldn't sweat it.

I'll say this ... the instrument is for the musician ... the music for the audience ...

• Members

Are Kurzweil's older stuff any good? If so, I could save up for a few months and watch craigslist. I see an sp76 on there right now that won't stay powered on for $50.

• Members

Good luck but I would hold out for the Gi, you will not be sorry. Yes it is frustrating that you are paying for features you may not want right now but the live aspects of the synth are pretty great and there are live features new to this model only. Plus 1,300 gig-ready-easily-tweakable-sounds of every type. Save some money for a down payment if you can or you may be able find an open box, B stock or slightly used one for $900 or less. Once again good luck.

• Members

Hey Mikey, you said you liked the Juno Di sounds. Did you happen to hear the grand/acoustic pianos on it? If so did you like those, what were your impressions?

I've almost decided to get it, it's currently the most likely contender.

For the price the acoustic pianos were certainly very usable. I think this is a nice little inexpensive "bread and butter" synth.

Archived