Sequential Circuits Pro One

Pigger

• Members

Is there any advantage to this synth over a new Mopho keyboard? Does it sound any "better"?

There's one on CL here asking $900 in good condition, "all functions working, needs tuning". A freind of mine at the music store (keyboard expert) checked it out & says this one is a good one.

I can get a new Mopho for around $750 locally.

I have 2 Tetras now, which I enjoy. I know that the DSI stuff is not well- liked by all here. :)

• Members

:confused:
Have I offended?

not at all.

just that to my mind this is a no-brainer.

i had a pro-one for 20 years or so. it was my first synth.

it just seemed to get better and better year by year. i sold it to buy a voyager. but in many ways the pro-one was better than the moog.

i've been tweaking my DSI Tetra to try to get somewhere close to the pro-one sound. ain't got there yet and i'm not optimistic.

so if cash is not an issue, just buy the pro-one. imho of course. :thu:

• Members

not at all.

just that to my mind this is a no-brainer.

i had a pro-one for 20 years or so. it was my first synth.

it just seemed to get better and better year by year. i sold it to buy a voyager. but in many ways the pro-one was better than the moog.

i've been tweaking my DSI Tetra to try to get somewhere close to the pro-one sound. ain't got there yet and i'm not optimistic.

so if cash is not an issue, just buy the pro-one. imho of course.
:thu:

Thanks to both of you for your input. :)

I didn't know if they used the same IC's as the Mopho/P8/Tetra/Evolver for DCO's & filter, and if there were any differences to their sound. I like my Tetras, and just got an Evolver desktop yesterday, which I haven't had time to explore yet. Also have a Little Phatty, which, of course, is an entirely different sound IMO. Picked up a Super JX earlier this year, which I really like the sound of, although it's yet another different kind of sound.

I appreciate your help. :thu:

• Members

Depends on your needs. Apparently, i'm the only one who's been able to hit most of the sounds on my Pro-One with my Mopho. If you need MIDI, then the Pro-One is out. The Mopho you will most likely never need it serviced. And if you do, it will probably be cheaper than servicing a Pro-One. The Pro-One DOES have a bit of brashness on the Square Waves that the Mopho doesn't have. The Mo' has a bit more of a Rolandy square wave. But some Audio Mod of the Filter usually helps.

You can't go wrong with either one. Also, the Mopho has the 4 track gated sequencer that the Pro-One doesn't have.

• Members

Depends on your needs. Apparently, i'm the only one who's been able to hit most of the sounds on my Pro-One with my Mopho. If you need MIDI, then the Pro-One is out. The Mopho you will most likely never need it serviced. And if you do, it will probably be cheaper than servicing a Pro-One. The Pro-One DOES have a bit of brashness on the Square Waves that the Mopho doesn't have. The Mo' has a bit more of a Rolandy square wave. But some Audio Mod of the Filter usually helps.

You can't go wrong with either one. Also, the Mopho has the 4 track gated sequencer that the Pro-One doesn't have.

Your inputs are appreciated. I'm really on the fence with this. I don't want or "need" the "vintage & therefore cool" thing; more interested in how it sounds & the U.I.

I'm also considering an MEK, for the knobbiness. As many here have noted, there is something gratifying about having most parameters available immediately & simultaneously. This is one of the attractions of the Pro One as well. While I love the sound of my Tetras, I wish DSI made a Tetra keyboard with knobbiness galore.

I am curious, also, if anyone here uses a midi controller that's knobby & slidery to control their desktop-type synths, and how that works out for them; is the U.I. clumsy to use, or does it work well enough?

I realise that these are probably pretty noob-y questions; I appreciate the patience shown here. :)

• Members

The problem with the DSI stuff it that it uses NRPNs as a means of MIDI control. Only some of the parameters are available via CCs. Even then, you'll run into problems like controlling the Cutoff Freq, using CCs will only close it down to 34. Because the available number of steps using NRPNs is greater than CCs. With CCs, you get 0-127. NRPN you get 0-164 on the Cutoff. So it doesn't sweep through all of the steps. So you'd need to find a controller that outputs 14bit NRPNs and learn how to program it.

I use the editor for my Mopho. I'll even just program it from the 4 knobs sometimes. The KB version you don't need any of that. Only more uncommonly used parameters you'll need to dive for. I've only ever played one at GC, but i had no problems finding my way around it after about 30 seconds. The Evolvers are great synths as well.

• Members

The problem with the DSI stuff it that it uses NRPNs as a means of MIDI control. Only some of the parameters are available via CCs. Even then, you'll run into problems like controlling the Cutoff Freq, using CCs will only close it down to 34. Because the available number of steps using NRPNs is greater than CCs. With CCs, you get 0-127. NRPN you get 0-164 on the Cutoff. So it doesn't sweep through all of the steps. So you'd need to find a controller that outputs 14bit NRPNs and learn how to program it.

I use the editor for my Mopho. I'll even just program it from the 4 knobs sometimes. The KB version you don't need any of that. Only more uncommonly used parameters you'll need to dive for. I've only ever played one at GC, but i had no problems finding my way around it after about 30 seconds. The Evolvers are great synths as well.

That's exactly the kind of info I needed; thank you very much for your help, Acid Hazard. :thu:

• Members

Can't believe how expensive Pro-One's have gotten. There seems to be no end in sight. Great sound. Great synth. Flimsy build quality. They're relatively delicate compared to the Japanese stuff of the same vintage. Still, if you can grab one, do it.

• Members

The Pro-One sounds a lot better than any of the new DSI stuff to my ears. I really hate the lack of filter character paired with the DCOs on the newer Curtis chip Dave is using. Same reason the Marion synths sounded like crap to me.

The Pro-One has the truly excellent CEM3320 filter and CEM3340 VCOs.

• Members

I had a Pro One for about 4 years before selling it. I even had it serviced and made new polished Oak side-panels for it. It was a fine monosynth and had I a lot of fun with it. But it wasn't really for me. I use pretty standard type analog leads and basses, nothing that really pushes the VCOs to the limit, or pushes the P1 into sonic territory that belongs strictly to itself. And I needed patch memory. And to stay in tune. And didn't need knob access to EVERY parameter. So it really wasn't for me.

The Pro One has now WAY exceeded the price-point that originally made it attractive. In 1980 it sold for around $750 new, and many people bought one because they couldn't afford any other synth. Most people at that time wanted a programmable polysynth but you had to fork upwards of $5K just to own one. Back then most synths were VCO anyway, so that wasn't the attraction. The P1 has simply found its niche in today's market for completely different reasons. The Mopho is kind of the modern equivalent of what the P1 was trying to be in 1980: Small, cheap & affordable.

• Members

So, I went to look at it friday after work; it was in an "Anvil" case (maybe? :idk:) in which the interior foam had deteriorated to the point where the synth was covered in foam dust & bits. I didn't touch the keys, pots or switches because I didn't want to get that stuff in the works. Pretty sizeable synth for a monosynth; biggish footprint. Plenty of room around the pots, I guess. :)

Called the seller & explained the situation; he said he'd clean it & call me when he had it ready. I don't think I want to deal with the contamination issues; seems like it could end up being a constant hassle to keep all the pots, swiches & keys operational. $900 is a lot to pay for a keyboard that cost less than that new, too.

I'll probably just work with what I already have & be happy. Thanks very much to all for your helpful input. :thu:

Carbon111; thanks again for your excellent site & info. :cool:

• Members

I'll probably just work with what I already have & be happy.

Good decision. Get crackin' with that desktop Evolver. Those things are just bad-ass. And don't forget to buy the Soundtower software editor. You'll have a blast with the "Program Genetics" feature. Great for mangling external audio sources too.

Archived