I want something vintage Roland but what to choose?

MuzikB

• Members

I'm relatively new to Roland products; have a Super JX presently. I like it. I'm used to the one-knob/slider data entry method, being a long-time DX-7 user.

I'm looking at an SH-09 in v.g. cond; missing one slider paddle, & the filter resonance slider was a little dirty when I started playing it yesterday. Cleaned up after a while.

Played for about a half-hour; I liked the tone of the filter & osc. and may go get it. $350 USD.

• Members

The house music sounds I've heard coming from the JD-990 (programmed, not presets) were all very, very good. I think it's worth the effort because it would be good for what you do. It would be much easier to program than the JV-1080 anyway...

True. Finding one in very good condition seems to be a problem. :(

• Members

You keep laughing, and I keep fooling people.
;)

:lol::cool:

Anyway, JV-1080 and XV-3080 have different converters, and much different hardware hence why you heard the difference. Both use 8-bit, 32kHz companded waveforms and destructive type of wave compression (similar to mp3).

But for your type of music, JD-990 is essential. Pure, clean high end sound, thanks to stellar converters, 44.1kHz ROM content and non-destructive waveform compression. Given its current low price (for what was once a high end instrument) i'd take 990 with the Vintage Expansion card in a heartbeat. Ok, maybe the presets are so so... but if Juan Atkins used them, hey you can too.

As someone who makes (IMO) a high end sounding music, you should use the JD, and benefit its high end sound. I'm sure you'll know how to employ it. I've never met a producer who didn't like the sound of the JD. Seriously, it's great sounding instrument, Madonna toured with 8 JD-990s (eight!) stacked in a rack - no comment needed.

• Members

:lol::cool:

Anyway, JV-1080 and XV-3080 have different converters, and much different hardware hence why you heard the difference. Both use 8-bit, 32kHz companded waveforms and destructive type of wave compression (similar to mp3).

But for your type of music, JD-990 is essential. Pure, clean high end sound, thanks to stellar converters, 44.1kHz ROM content and non-destructive waveform compression. Given its current low price (for what was once a high end instrument) i'd take 990 with the Vintage Expansion card in a heartbeat. Ok, maybe the presets are so so... but if Juan Atkins used them, hey you can too.

As someone who makes (IMO) a high end sounding music, you should use the JD, and benefit its high end sound. I'm sure you'll know how to employ it. I've never met a producer who didn't like the sound of the JD. Seriously, it's great sounding instrument, Madonna toured with 8 JD-990s (eight!) stacked in a rack - no comment needed.

Too bad they discontinued those Xone units. ;)

Anyway, I know all about the JD. Had a 800 and a 990. (List of all the kit I've had over the years is in another thread.) The 990 was my first "VA". It's just finding one that isn't beat to hell and at the right time. Got a lot going on with college. May put this on hold to purchase an RME ADI-2 or a Lynx Aurora 8.

And then there's Kontakt 5. :D

• Members

The SH-32 is vintage now? Wow, I knew time flies fast, but...

Anyway, the one to get is obviously the 990. Much better than the 1080.

It's a better synth yes. Finding a good one that's close to me, a little more difficult.

Archived