Are Laney tube amps any good?

Burstbucker

• Members

From what I can tell by looking at some pictures on the web, the Laney VC50 and VC100 combo amps are built way better then most other affordable tube amps out there now.

For example, it appears that the tube sockets are chassis mounted rather then PCB mounted and there seems to be a toroidal transformer sticking out the bottom of the chassis. That's some pretty good quailty build quality there IMHO. But how do they sound, is there a good clean sound and good tube crunch too(good for 70s Classic Rock sound)?

What's a good price for a used one? Which one would you choose the VC-50W or the VC-100?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

how's the gh100L. been looking at that one all day. i know it's like a souped up 800, but can it get kinda dark orangey tones as well? thanks.

IMO they are definitely bright amps, not that dark Orange type grind. The GH100L is still very Marshall'ish. You can always dial back the treble.

Cheers

• Members

hmmm....that's what worries me. my sunn is a tank and we play quite frequently and i don't know what i'd do if the head stopped working. anyway to make them not break down so much? do you think the laney could do cave in "moral eclipse" style grind?

I'm sure a Laney can handles tons of road wear as long as you're not spilling crap on it everynight and dropping/kicking it.

• Members

sweet. yeah, i seriously baby my amps soooo bad, so i shouldn't have a prob. i do play {censored}ing loud though. i hope one of these can keep up with me. haha. live lately i've been running the model t into 2 4x12's and a 100 watt fender bassman into a fender 2x15. both dimed. how loud are the laneys compared to say an ampeg v4 or something. that's what our other guitarist uses. just wondering.

• Members

haha. word. i guess i just go way over the top. but hey, isn't doom supposed to be loud. haha. can it nail iommi style tones like sweet leaf? or whatnot? sorry to ask so many questions, but this amp is so intriguing. damn gas.

Lol, Iommi has his own signature amp from Laney (GH100TI), so if that's what your're after check that one out. As I am not familiar with the songs you are talking about, I can't say. I've read on numerous occasions from ppl who have owned both the GH100TI and the VH100R that the VH is just a higher gain GH100TI.

Also I thought Iommi and Sabbath had been using Laneys since the very beginning?

• Members

From what I can tell by looking at some pictures on the web, the Laney VC50 and VC100 combo amps are built way better then most other affordable tube amps out there now.

For example, it appears that the tube sockets are chassis mounted rather then PCB mounted and there seems to be a toroidal transformer sticking out the bottom of the chassis. That's some pretty good quailty build quality there IMHO. But how do they sound, is there a good clean sound and good tube crunch too(good for 70s Classic Rock sound)?

What's a good price for a used one? Which one would you choose the VC-50W or the VC-100?

Yes the VC50/100 are built better than alot of other tube amps out there dollar for dolalr. I have the VC50 along with the VH100R. They are the same amp except 50 watt difference other than that they are identical. They also have better quality bult than the laneys late 90's to 2000 models. But Laney newer VH100R and their other models have improved recently.

Now to answer your question..How do they sound? They sound fantastic!! Killer saturated distortion along with shimmering warm cleans. They are also loud as hell!! Best amp out there that can do jack of all trades. Everything it does ..it sounds great! If you happen to run into one of the VC models. I would suggest changing the stock speakers and tubes. Other than that you can get one used for like 550 to 700 depending on condition.

Other than that Laney amps are one of the best out there in terms of versatility and tone.

• Members

GH50L is awesome, if you want cleans as well then the VH100R would work. Listen to rockappalla's clips of it, sounds so good.

Perfect for hard rock.

aggreed, i like the simpicity and pricing of the GH50/100/100TI striaght forward aggresive hi-gain tone, the only thing i didn;t like was the lack of a useable clean channel, i kinda wished it had just a extra volume knob and clean channel button, but the VH is too much for me

i like simple amps, with exception to the JVM cuz while the tone knobs look sopisticated confusing, all u need to do is find the right settings then have the footswitch memorize em, then u get everything u need at the tap of a footswitch rather finding the right spot for each knob

Archived