Good VIs for beefing up guitar

GloomGenerator

• Members

Any suggestions? Just to fatten it up and/or add a little sludge to it.

Examples off the top of my head with be like Pure by Gary Numan or Reptile by NIN. Just a nice fat chugging sound

I don't think you can get that via VSTi. Double track your guitars with at least 2 same or different amps, that gives you the core.

But sure some compressors and right EQ can give you a nicer sound. I dunno, maybe a LA-2A would work. You should focus on the amp though...

• Members

that's just it, though, I'm not really looking for a guitar sound I'm looking for a sound that's guitar-like, if that makes sense. I want it to sound synthetic, not just a fat guitar tone.

Are you playing a real guitar a synth?

What exactly are you trying to cook? Lead, rhythm? Any examples?

• Members

Both. Rhythm.

Ok...

Well I listened to your Gary example (with laptop speakers). To me it sounds like it's normal guitar sound with 2 or more tracks. Just quickly listening, I would say that the sound is first sampled and then quantized, but at least it sounds quantized. I dunno, maybe even played straight. Other than that there is probably a studio compressor and EQ.

I think it just comes down to right amps and mics. And the layer of synth sound on top (or bottom).

• Members

Reaktor 5: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/reaktor-55/

You'll also get a LOT more than awesome guitar effects. Drum machines, synths, sound generators.

Sherman Filterbank 2: http://sherman.be/

Not a VI, but {censored}in' sweet for guitars. I'm not a guitar player but my guitar playing friends love it. Takes a while to wrap your head around it. It's a deep machine.

Archived