First new amp in 20 years...Vox? Rocktron?

archer28

• Members

I'm going nuts looking at all the possible amps. I know, I know I should try them out but there are literally NO music shops around here that carry anything other than a few Fenders, Crates, and First Act!?

I've been playing (strat) on and off for 20 years on a peavey audition 20 practice amp. I have a couple of pedals, a Peavey Hotfoot Distortion, and a DOD Fx53 classic tube.

I just borrowed a friend's Fender Princetom 650 for the weekend and I see how badly I need a new amp... I had a blast playing with the loaner.

I don't gig, only play at home, and possibly at school (I'm a teacher but we sometimes have talent shows and I let the kids borrow my equipment).

I don't want to spend more than $300

I'd like to have an amp that can get close to that "Wind Cries Mary" sound, but I play a little of everything (no "death" or really heavy metal though)

I'm looking hard at the Vox AD30VT, but I'm not sure I need all the models it has.

Today I noticed the low prices MF has on Rocktron amps, specifically the ones listed in the "tube" section like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-V50C-Velocity-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480979

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-V50D-Velocity-50w-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=480982

And their SS amps (like the built in tuner and the effects might be fun)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Rampage-R80DSP-80w-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=480997

Seem like good deals and I can't find many reviews on the boards here.

How do the Rocktron amps compare to the Vox modelers? I'm more interested in good sound than volume, or lots of presets.

Thanks!

• Members

The vox valvetronix are nice sounding lil versatile amps, i have the bigger brother (120) on a 2X12 and i LOVE THE {censored} out of it! a real killer + versatile amp :thu:

Heres a quick clip of what the Vox can do! -- I would recommend checking it out especially if your thinking about buying it, its about 10 mins and gives you a rough idea of what the amp can really do!

http://www.gearwire.com/vox-ad30-vt.html

Tell us what you think, ok

:idea:

• Members

1776, That clip is one of the reasons I'm so "stuck" on the Vox. I initally thought I would buy a spider 75, but in listening to both of the amps via their demo videos, I really liked the sounds coming out of the Vox.

I did note that Roktron had some higher powered amps for around the same price as the Vox, but I can't find any demos of the Rocktron.

I do like all the inputs and features of the 80dsp amp above, more wattage, and a larger speaker than the Vox for about the same price... but no tube preamp on that one.

You guys who live around well-stocked music stores don't know how lucky you are to be able to try before you buy!

• Members

1776, That clip is one of the reasons I'm so "stuck" on the Vox. I initally thought I would buy a spider 75, but in listening to both of the amps via their demo videos, I really liked the sounds coming out of the Vox.

I did note that Roktron had some higher powered amps for around the same price as the Vox, but I can't find any demos of the Rocktron.

I do like all the inputs and features of the 80dsp amp above, more wattage, and a larger speaker than the Vox for about the same price... but no tube preamp on that one.

You guys who live around well-stocked music stores don't know how lucky you are to be able to try before you buy!

I wouldnt go near the Line 6 Spider, some guys like em but 2 me theres no dynamics or breathiness/pick attack to the amp! It may sound ok but responds kinda so-so (lifeless almost) The Vox responds like a valve amp..

Rocktron makes some decent stuff, ive tried some of their amps, rackmount and its pretty solid stuff.. It does help ALOT *if u live near* a music store at least u can listen lol.

What r u going to use the amp for? home playing? jamming with buds? a actual band/? What kind of music do u play/like? How impt is versatility? What did you think of the actual tones of the Vox demo? (nevermind the bells/whistles, amps, effects, etc) im talking actual tone! - did u like the actual tone? :confused:

:rawk:

• Members

The very first "model" that the amp is set on in the video is the sound I'm looking for (but I don't want an amp that does only that sound). 99% of my playing would be at home, and a lot of that with headphones.

I'm a longtime player, but a shorttime "serious" player.

I'd like to be able to connect my computer out to my amp, put headphones in the amp and play along with lessons/songs that I have on my computer (not sure if the Vox will do that).

Music wise, I'm probably pretty boring... I'm interested in learning Hendrix, AD/DC, Queen, Tom Petty, and maybe even some Dwight Yoakum (yes, yes, I know) but my ultimate goal is to learn my way around the frets enough to be able to just turn on some nice clean, and just free play some blusey/jazzy sounding licks all my own- thats my goal.

• Members

Oh, to answer your question, I really like the sound of the Vox as compared to the Spider, but honestly, I've probably played 5 different amps in my life, all solid state.

The "tube" sound is something I've only heard in recordings. I just know that the SS amp I have now doesn't do a thing for me anymore.

• Members

Hey

Well the Rocktron arrived today. (even though it was supposed to come next week) It is a 100watt 2x12 stereo replitone. They do not make them anymore but their are some left at dealers who advertise on ebay.

I have spent just a couple of hours with it. Same basic idea as the valvetronics.(the vox vtx 120) With the Rocktron you can have the amp models, delay, reverb, one effect and noise reduction in each patch. On the vox it is basically the same but you can also add an effect from the pedal section.(compression, wah, phase, treble boost, etc) The vox has a tuner and you can alter the watts from 60 to 1watt I believe. Not so on the replitone. I think the vox has more effects overall with the pedal section added. Since the rocktron only lets you use one effect from the effect section, you are limited. For example, if you use compression you cannot add anything else. All the effects are in the effects section, wah, comp, phase, flange, trem, chorus, pitch shift, rotary, etc and you choose one. (again, delay, reverb and noise reduction are seperate) Not a problem for me but could be limiting for some. Since I do not have a pedal board yet, I have not been able to hear the wah except in a fixed position. The hush noise reduction is great by the way.

Overall, they both sound good. The vox is a more versitle amp with the tuner, pedal section, and wattage output but the rocktron sounds nice. I have set up a great clean tweed sound. (very easy to tweek) Not having them side by side I can only rely on memory. I think the vox has more distortion sounds then the roctron such as a jcm 200, soldano, and dumble,

but the rocktron has nicer heavy sounds. Both do great clean sounds. Could not tell you on the crunch stuff, I am still using a pedal for that. (the rocktron takes pedals well) They are both about equal on the quality of effects.

One thing that helped my decision (not being made of money) The rocktron was $450 100watts stereo, the vox was 1199 120 watts stereo. I just could not drop over a grand at this point in my life. If I had the money to spend, I do not know. They are both really nice amps. The vox sounded really nice in the local guitar center. I do not think you could go wrong with either of these amps.

• Members

Archer28 as stated above, this is not the new rocktron. You should check out the replitone. A guy on ebay has three left at $450 each. (a shame because MF was blowing them out at $299 at one point) You have a 15 day return policy. Check them out.

• Members

Hey man, go with the VOX. It has a great selection of amp models and that "wind crys mary" should be easily obtained as shown in that gearwire video someone posted above.

Oh, and the Vox is a hybrid amp im pretty sure. Its not a full tube, but it has a pre-amp tube in it, which is better than not having one.

Go with the vox man :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the update Assumer & I hope you enjoy that new amp!

I finally went with the AD30VT

I had decided to buy a beater guitar, and settled on the Squier 51, the only place that still had them in stock was samash.com

While I was on the phone, I mentioned that I might be interested in an amp as well, but I was trying to wait unitil it went on sale. The very nice young lady asked me which one I was interested in, when I said "ad30vt" she said "thats the same amp I have".

She told me to give her a sec, then she came back and told me she could sell me the guitar, and amp with free shipping for $319

I got everything 2 days ago and I'm having a blast!

• Members

Yeah,the only clips on the Rocktron site are of the new Vendeta V80R 1-12" combo,which has a 12AX7A in the preamp,reverb,HUSH system,built-in tuner and an fx loop.They go for just a bit over $300.00.

Ed

Archived