how to get searing blues-rock slide tone? tiny cranked amp?

bikehorn

• Members

Lately I've been paying more attention to slide playing by rock & roll players, i.e. page, beck, ron wood, peter green, clapton, etc. Actually, hearing Ron Wood play slide with The Faces is what convinced me to try it myself. Obviously i'm still crap because I only bought a slide last night...but I've always wondered how some slide players get such wicked overdriven slide sounds. Like Peter Green on the first Fleetwood Mac album for example, or Jimmy Page on "In My Time Of Dying". Is it a lot of midrange? a fuzzbox? or a small amp turned up to within an inch of its life? with my tubescreamer hitting the front of my Traynor at about 2/3 of the way up it sounds pretty good but still not as ballsy as i would like. I'm looking for a sort of fat, squawky sound.

I've long thought about building an el cheapo Champ clone and playing it through this ancient alnico magnet hifi speaker i have.

I still have to set my guitar up for slide though, the action is not that high yet and i'm using 10-52's.

what do you guys use for sweet slide tones?

• Members

Lately I've been paying more attention to slide playing by rock & roll players, i.e. page, beck, ron wood, peter green, clapton, etc. Actually, hearing Ron Wood play slide with The Faces is what convinced me to try it myself. Obviously i'm still crap because I only bought a slide last night...but I've always wondered how some slide players get such wicked overdriven slide sounds. Like Peter Green on the first Fleetwood Mac album for example, or Jimmy Page on "In My Time Of Dying". Is it a lot of midrange? a fuzzbox? or a small amp turned up to within an inch of its life? with my tubescreamer hitting the front of my Traynor at about 2/3 of the way up it sounds pretty good but still not as ballsy as i would like. I'm looking for a sort of fat, squawky sound.

I've long thought about building an el cheapo Champ clone and playing it through this ancient alnico magnet hifi speaker i have.

I still have to set my guitar up for slide though, the action is not that high yet and i'm using 10-52's.

what do you guys use for sweet slide tones?

First of all it's Jeremy Spencer that you're hearing on the first Fleetwood Mac album IIRC.

Ok for a fat slide sound you want a compressor or maybe even two in series and a thick fat OD pedal. I really like the Fulltone Distortion Pro myself, it gets those Eric Johnson violin tones.

Then add an amp with natural distortion (not a Twin Reverb) and turn it up LOUD. Doesn't have to be a big amp.

Archived