Crate GX owners! GX130C, 1200H, differences?

Soeru

• Members

I'm gonna be in the states in a few weeks and want to pick up an inexpensive smaller-than-normal solidstate amphead to bring back with me as a backup amp or for use when I don't feel like firing up my Engl. I'm really sold on the GX130C as I'm on a tight budget for an Ampeg right now, but I've heard of the GX-1200H, which is a 120W RMS head that's much smaller and lighter than the 130C.

Is this 1200H anything like the GX130C in terms of sound? I'm using a Framus 2x12 with v30's btw. I really want those oldschool raw Suffo and Gorguts sounds out of it. Does it sound anything like the old GX130C?

If not, can someone suggest any other smaller/lighter-than-normal-size solid state heads that have a decent high gain channel? Thanks.

Also I have the option of picking up a GX-65 1x12" combo for cheap, which would be faar more convenient for me as I'd be able to play out with it(no car at the moment). Does the GX-65 have the same preamp/poweramp and sound of the GX-130C? I'm guessing so as it's half of the wattage, just like the Ampeg SS-70 is to the 140-C.

• Members

To my knowledge the GX-130C doesn't sound like any of the other GX amps. The only other Crate that sounds similar is the newer 350W head (GT something I believe) which is obviously more amp than you're looking for. It's preamp is based on the Ampeg VH-140C, which is what the GX-130C is modelled after (and sounds nearly identical to). Other than that you're looking at the older Ampeg SS-series amps to get that sound.

Randalls have a decent high gain channel to them, although they're voiced differently than the aforemention SLM amps. A boosted Randall SS can sound extremely brutal though.

• Members

Thanks a lot, very helpful. I think I won't be buying any other Crate SS heads then.

Yeah I've been on a lookout for Randalls too, like the RG series as well as the old ampeg SS35's and 70's.

Archived