Why does my low E sound flubby?? (cross post from rig talk)

mightyjoeyoungxnj

• Members
Yeah man...All the other ball ends of the strings face up so you are looking through the hole. The low E is kind of sideways. But man I've fiddled with it and no luck. Maybe I can have it filed??

-Joe

My low E is either a 49 or 50 and it is tought getting it in the slot. It sounds like the string is not making solid contact on the saddle.

• Members

My low E is either a 49 or 50 and it is tought getting it in the slot. It sounds like the string is not making solid contact on the saddle.

I think that might actually be it...Because when I brought it to my tech initially, he told me he had to cut a few of the saddle springs to get the intonation perfect. The low E saddle is wayyyy back. If you notice, on the Gibraltar saddle, the edge that the string rests on is like a 45 degree angle, slanted metal. Well I think that is what is causing the string to sit impromperly. Would it be ok to file this part down, so the intonation would be correct and so the string would sit properly??

-Joe

• Members

Ok update...

Changed the low E string, but noticed that ALL the strings sound weak as {censored}. The low E isn't the culprit, it's something electronic. The bridge pickup has a ton of buzzing, sounds weak as hell. The neck pickup sounds ok, no buzz...

Could a bad input jack cause one pickup to sound crappy and not the other??

-Joe

• Members

Ok update...

Changed the low E string, but noticed that ALL the strings sound weak as {censored}. The low E isn't the culprit, it's something electronic. The bridge pickup has a ton of buzzing, sounds weak as hell. The neck pickup sounds ok, no buzz...

Could a bad input jack cause one pickup to sound crappy and not the other??

-Joe

I don't think so.

Either there is a wiring problem directly with the bridge pickup itself, or it is bad altogether and needs to be replaced.

Archived