Crate Powerblock as a straight up poweramp?

Soeru

• Members

Good idea? I'm about to buy an old Rocktron preamp and would love to feed it into my Framus 2x12, but I don't have much money for a real poweramp. Would running it into the FX return or CD-in of the Powerblock yield killer results? I think it would, thoughts? I hear many use it to power their mixers/monitors and keyboard amps and all sorts of {censored}.

• Members

Aren't all SS poweramps supposed to be transparent and not have any influence on tone unlike tube PA's?

And btw I've heard some clips/seen some vids on youtube and it gave me the impression that it sounds very dark on it's own.

• Members

I use my Powerblock as a power amp for my ADA MP-1. I totaly love this rig (when it works-keep reading). It's light weight and easy to carry around. I prefer my all tube rig, but this is fine in a pinch and I have actaully used it at shows and practice and always been happy. I will say that I am going to be going on my 3rd Powerblock. I have had one that just stopped working and two others that started making a ticking sound. The first one that started ticking ended up w/ smoke pouring out of it.

• Members

OUCH. Sorry to hear that man, did you ever find out why they stopped working? Were you always running 8 ohm cabs? I'm not planning to do any gigging with this Rocktron preamp + Powerblock but I would be using it for rehearsing/jamming out, never beyond band practice levels.

Powerblocks cost 100-150 euros here, still a bit more than in the US. I might wait til they catch on and lower the price. Sound like a good idea? Or should I abstain from buying a PB altogether and just buy a cheapo SS combo to feed the Rocktron preamp into?

• Members

My first one just stopped for no reason. I think the problems w/ #'s 2 & 3 was that when I use the PB w/ one 4x12 instead of two I would still use the cab in stereo. I guess if your 4x12 is wired a certain way (which I guess mine are) the PB can't handle it. I think it has somthing to do w/ how the grounds are run together. For right now I just two 4x12's in stereo, but only use it in mono when I only play w/ one cab. It's to bad because I run multiple preamps in my rig and it sounds awsome, but I can't run one preamp per side w/ one cab.

Archived