Where's the love for Johnsons

KovachianOne

• Members

No, not that kind of johnson. Sicko.

With all the interest in modelling amps I'm surprised there isn't more talk about Johnson Amplification. I remember playing a JM150 a while back and it absolutely floored me; all the dynamics, the warmth and breathing of an old fashioned tube circuit was there. I would've bought it but it was out of my price range at that time. I believe they quit making them a few years ago but as far as I'm concerned the sonic quality of a Millenium is light years ahead of anything from Line 6, due in large part to the 12AX7s. The one I tried out didn't have all the wacky effect gizmos of a Vetta but the few that were there, sounded fantastic so it's more akin to a Zentera imo. Anyone else here try one out before?

At this point I may be the only guitarist on the planet who plans to get an Atomic AND a Johnson to combine forces. Think about it:

Atomic: digital/tube pre, tube power

Johnson: tube pre, digital power

Pardon the cliche, but I think it's a match made in heaven.

• Members

had a jm250 and loved it. needed a good cab to sound better. i used my 1960A w greenbacks and it was awesome. after johnson died i sold it at a loss but not as much if i had to sell today. been trying to find one here and there. always liked the recorded tone off the xlr jacks :D

when that move was made for cheap floor pedal proc, good amps like johnson died a mis death.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Tried a Johnson Millenium many, many times in comparison with the Line 6 Ax2 212, and ended up buying the Line 6...although it was a very, very tough choice.

That was many a moons ago. I have been through many amps since then, and currently own a mix of all tube amps as well as 2 modelers. The Vox AD120VTH (head), which I will never sell, remains (IMHO) still the best digital modeler amp ever.

Archived